HP's response on the data corruption issue and your recourse RRS feed

• Question

• I thought you would be interested in an online chat session I had with HP today regarding pre-purchase questions I had on the EX470, which were specifically around what HP would do if Microsoft could not fix the data corruption issue.  You can bet that I am going to keep the copy they emailed to me with the incident number, as proof of what they said, and the resulting purchase I made. 

12:09:04 PM  Kevin

Initial Question/Comment: I am interested in the EX470 MediaSmart server, but am concerned about the data corruption issue that is widely known with the W

12:09:10 PM  System

Sandra has joined this session!

Connected with Sandra

12:09:16 PM  Sandra

Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Store chat.

12:09:24 PM  Sandra

My name is Sandra. How are you doing today?

12:09:33 PM  Kevin

continued question....WHS operating system. If I buy this unit today, which will be crippled because of this corruption issue, and Microsoft does not release a fix, or release the fix for free, what is HP going to do? Are you going to offer an extended return policy, or are you going to compensate me for being stuck with a crippled product?

12:10:33 PM  Kevin

I am not about to buy a crippled product running on a proprietary hardware platform unless I know I have some recourse.

12:10:55 PM  Sandra

Well you don't need to worry HP gives you 1 year of standard warranty.

12:11:13 PM  Kevin

So does that warranty specifically state operating systems by 3rd parties?

12:11:38 PM  Sandra

Yes.

12:11:52 PM  Kevin

If the operating system is fatally flawed, and cannot be fixed, specifically how is HP going to remedy this?

12:13:30 PM  Sandra

Well first of all we have 21 days of return policy and also one year of warranty states that if it is a manufacturer defect and not reparable it will be replaced.

12:14:06 PM  Sandra

Well we have not faced any problem as such.

12:15:18 PM  Kevin

The fix by Microsoft is not supposed to be out until June 2008. Assuming they do not fix the data corruption issue, which is a very serious issue with this operating system, and very widely known to affect the EX470 along with every other multi disk home server, what you are saying is that you would replace my unit. What would you replace it with?

12:16:09 PM  Kevin

The reason I am asking these questions is because I know this is a bridge I am going to have to cross, so to speak, if this problem is not resolved.

12:16:30 PM  Sandra

If the product is damaged or not work with in 21 days it will be replaced.

12:17:53 PM  Kevin

You are obviously not understanding my question. If the product is fatally flawed by this data corruption issue, no replacement is going to be available. The problem affects every single one of them. What will you replace it with if the operating system problems cannot be resolved?

12:18:23 PM  Sandra

Please hold while I look for the information you requested.

12:18:27 PM  Kevin

Thank you

12:20:20 PM  Sandra

As a retailer, we are unable answer technical questions, I am sorry. HP Technical Support can assist you and may be reached 24 hours a day by calling 1-800-HPINVENT (1-800-474-6836).

You may start a live chat with them as well at http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/chat_1.html

12:20:58 PM  Kevin

This is not a technical question. It is a question about a warranty issue on your product.

12:21:24 PM  Kevin

I simply want to know how HP is going to handle the situation if the operating system of this product cannot be fixed.

12:22:35 PM  Sandra

According to our information any issues with product will be fixed for free under the warranty if you are out of the warranty than you will be charged.

12:22:50 PM  Kevin

Ok. Thanks.

12:23:05 PM  Sandra

So are you placing the order.

12:23:10 PM  Kevin

I will be, yes.

12:23:20 PM  Sandra

Great. I ask that you go ahead and complete your order now, and when you are done, you will be given an order number. Please copy that number over and I would be happy to verify your order was successful.

12:23:39 PM  Kevin

Just a minute while i place the order

12:25:26 PM  Kevin

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:41 PM

Answers

•  Bigman55434 wrote:

I thought you would be interested in an online chat session I had with HP today regarding pre-purchase questions I had on the EX470, which were specifically around what HP would do if Microsoft could not fix the data corruption issue.  You can bet that I am going to keep the copy they emailed to me with the incident number, as proof of what they said, and the resulting purchase I made. 

Initial Question/Comment: I am interested in the EX470 MediaSmart server, but am concerned about the data corruption issue that is widely known with the W

Connected with Sandra

continued question....WHS operating system. If I buy this unit today, which will be crippled because of this corruption issue, and Microsoft does not release a fix, or release the fix for free, what is HP going to do? Are you going to offer an extended return policy, or are you going to compensate me for being stuck with a crippled product?

I am not about to buy a crippled product running on a proprietary hardware platform unless I know I have some recourse.

Yes.

If the operating system is fatally flawed, and cannot be fixed, specifically how is HP going to remedy this?

Well first of all we have 21 days of return policy and also one year of warranty states that if it is a manufacturer defect and not reparable it will be replaced.

The fix by Microsoft is not supposed to be out until June 2008. Assuming they do not fix the data corruption issue, which is a very serious issue with this operating system, and very widely known to affect the EX470 along with every other multi disk home server, what you are saying is that you would replace my unit. What would you replace it with?

The reason I am asking these questions is because I know this is a bridge I am going to have to cross, so to speak, if this problem is not resolved.

You are obviously not understanding my question. If the product is fatally flawed by this data corruption issue, no replacement is going to be available. The problem affects every single one of them. What will you replace it with if the operating system problems cannot be resolved?

Thank you

As a retailer, we are unable answer technical questions, I am sorry. HP Technical Support can assist you and may be reached 24 hours a day by calling 1-800-HPINVENT (1-800-474-6836).

You may start a live chat with them as well at http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/chat_1.html

This is not a technical question. It is a question about a warranty issue on your product.

I simply want to know how HP is going to handle the situation if the operating system of this product cannot be fixed.

According to our information any issues with product will be fixed for free under the warranty if you are out of the warranty than you will be charged.

Ok. Thanks.

I will be, yes.

Great. I ask that you go ahead and complete your order now, and when you are done, you will be given an order number. Please copy that number over and I would be happy to verify your order was successful.

First, let me start by saying I firmly do believe the issue will be fixed.  Having said that...

If MS is unable to fix the issue at all (which is the question you posed to HP), the answer you received from the HP rep is completely pointless.  It "will be fixed for free under the warranty".  How is HP possibly going to "fix it" or "replace it"?  The answer is they can't.  If you are that concerned about it and cannot get HP to offer a complete refund of your money in writing, I think you should not purchase the item at all until the fix has been released to the public.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:24 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the info.

"According to our information any issues with product will be fixed for free under the warranty if you are out of the warranty than you will be charged."

The thing about this statement that worries me is that HP still doesn't clearly say that they will take responsibility for the server if an OS bug causes it to not perform.  I went down this road for a long time with MCE and a certain manufacturer (one that sold a home audio form factor pc with a 200 dvd changer).  For the duration of my argument the mfr pointed the finger at Microsoft, while Microsoft stated (correctly IMO) that the problems were with the hardware.  It's now an expensive doorstop due to utter lack of support from the mfr past the warranty/return period. 

I know the data corruption issue is a different animal that's without question a bug in the OS, but HP's stance could be much the same.  I have not yet picked up an HP server because I still have yet to be told by HP that they will accept a return if the OS is not fixed.  I find it much more likely that they will steadfastly insist that THEIR hardware is functioning correctly and nitpick until the 1yr period expires rather than face a torrent of returned servers.  I read the above quote as HP saying that after 21 days there are no returns, and if MS hasn't ironed out the kinks within a year, we'll pay. 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:15 PM
  •  Bigman55434 wrote:

I thought you would be interested in an online chat session I had with HP today regarding pre-purchase questions I had on the EX470, which were specifically around what HP would do if Microsoft could not fix the data corruption issue.  You can bet that I am going to keep the copy they emailed to me with the incident number, as proof of what they said, and the resulting purchase I made. 

Connected with Sandra

Yes.

Thank you

Ok. Thanks.

I will be, yes.

First, let me start by saying I firmly do believe the issue will be fixed.  Having said that...

If MS is unable to fix the issue at all (which is the question you posed to HP), the answer you received from the HP rep is completely pointless.  It "will be fixed for free under the warranty".  How is HP possibly going to "fix it" or "replace it"?  The answer is they can't.  If you are that concerned about it and cannot get HP to offer a complete refund of your money in writing, I think you should not purchase the item at all until the fix has been released to the public.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:24 PM
  • I agree there is a bit of risk.  The price just dropped again.  I picked it up for $499 on an employee purchase plan.  This rep, in writing, indicated they warranted the operating system, and would repair it for free under warranty.  Obviously they can't repair the O/S with something that works.  That only leaves them one option (to exchange it for something else or return it).  Also, our company buys a lot of equipment from them.  I am sure if worst came to worst, one call to our sales rep, along with this chat log, would net me a refund.  They have no choice, or they would be in breach of contract (they can't repair it), and I would have legal recourse.  If I thought there was an appreciable risk the problem would not be resolved by Microsoft, I would not have bought it.  The price point was right, and I can plug it in and go.  I have actually had a chance to see one of these in action, and they work very well for the typical home, and will work well for what I need, which is an efficient way to back up 4 computers.  I already have an Infrant ReadyNAS that is extremely stable, and has never hiccuped in over a year.  That is backed up to a big USB drive as well.  The HP box would certainly not be my first choice for critical data.  I rely on the ReadyNAS for that.  It doesn't complain about 260+ character filenames/paths, and in hardware Raid 5, gives me enough data security.  That box will also be backed up on the HP box, along with my PC's.  The other bells and whistles of WHS are a bonus to me, but not necessary.  I already stream media off the ReadyNAS, and never once had a problem.  I edit files on it all the time.  You have to love Linux...  I do like the idea of randomly adding disks, which I cannot do with the ReadyNAS.  It's a good compromise for me.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:42 PM