Windows Home Server 2011 HDD Management? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This is my first WHS 2011 (OEM) build, I have a fairly high PC knoweledge base as a custom builder, even so, before I started this project I did a lot of research on the installation, even bought a Kindle book to do use as a reference.

All went well, server install went without a hitch, was able to install the various drivers from the MOBO support disk, set up the back-up for the server on a different drive than the main server drive but then ran into a snag and I can't find the answer to this anywhere.

I want to designate where client systems are backed up, that is, I want to pick the drive/partition on the WHS 2011 server where each client is backed up. This way I can identify each drive/partition by client. Currently all client files are being backed up to the 'D' drive which is a secondary partition of the 320Gig primary boot drive. Even though I only have 3 client systems they all do photo and video editing and this space is going to run out quick. I have dedicated 3, 2TB drives for this purpose. How do I direct the client back up to the individual drives?

It seems to me that this should be a simple thing to do, it was with the server drive. I'm probably missing something obvious but I can't find a refrence to this anywhere. I'm starting to think this isn't possible.

Any help is appreciated.                                                   

Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:40 PM

Answers

• It's not possible to divide client backups among multiple drives. There's a single backup database, which you can choose to relocate if you want, but all clients back up to that one database.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by StickFigure Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:42 PM
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:24 AM

All replies

• It's not possible to divide client backups among multiple drives. There's a single backup database, which you can choose to relocate if you want, but all clients back up to that one database.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by StickFigure Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:42 PM
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:24 AM
  • You use the Dashboard to tell WHS where to move the Client Backups to (one of your big disks) but as Ken says, all client backups have to be in the same location.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I figured that was the answer so I moved the back up folder to the RAID 5 and gave up.

Sorry for the late response, for some reason the forum didn't notify me of your reply. Next time I will simply check in.

Thanks again.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Thanks Phil,

As I said to Ken, I figured that was the answer so I moved the back up folder to the RAID 5 and gave up.

Again, I apologize for the late response, for some reason the forum didn't notify me of your reply, (yep, I checked the 'alert me' box).

Thanks for the info.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:42 PM