Remove Service pack 1 warning icon RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Installed Windows Genuine notification onto a customers SP1 installation. It installed fine, but a star shaped icon has appeared in the task area, warning that Support for Windows XP Service pack 1 ends october 10th 2006.

The computer passed validation fine, but this customer is running a software configeration that is incompatiable with Service Pack 2 at the moment.

By right-clicking it, and choosing change notification, I've stopped the bubble warning coming up, but I have yet to find a way to remove the icon.

I can understand not being able to remove the icon if it was a counterfit copy, but the customer is well aware that they are not running the latest service pack, and has no wish to be reminded so by a persistant icon.

How can I turn this Icon off?

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:20 PM

Answers

• Dave21,

That Notification is actually part of the WGA Notifications. Reason being is because you are very susceptible to any type of attack without the security updates of SP2, but do understand your client's situation. The only thing that I would be able to suggest (short of installing SP2 which of course is not an option) is to hide inactive icons in the system tray on the lower right hand corner.

The way to hide inactive icons is to take the pointer to the system tray in the lower right hand corner, right click on a blank spot (not on an icon) and click properties. At the bottom of the window there will be a box that can be checked to "hide inactive icons." check the box and click ok. To make it permanently inactive, to the right of the check box you'll see customize. Click that, and look for the star icon. Click on the text that says "hide when inactive" and choose "Always Hide." Click OK and you should be good to go.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:07 PM
  • Dave,

you can right-click on the blue icon in your tray and select 'Change Notification Settings' it will take you to the configurations page, where you may choose not to be prompted anymore. This should get you going :)

Thanks.

Anand

Friday, August 4, 2006 12:40 AM
  • Dave:

Thank you for your feedback and VERY useful suggestion. While we have a one sided "Microsoft" mind, I do believe its good to get outside feedback. I have agreed to your changes within the group and will push to get this published in the next release (the option to disable the icon).

-Phil Liu

Program Manager,

Windows Genuine Advantage

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:59 PM

All replies

• Dave21,

That Notification is actually part of the WGA Notifications. Reason being is because you are very susceptible to any type of attack without the security updates of SP2, but do understand your client's situation. The only thing that I would be able to suggest (short of installing SP2 which of course is not an option) is to hide inactive icons in the system tray on the lower right hand corner.

The way to hide inactive icons is to take the pointer to the system tray in the lower right hand corner, right click on a blank spot (not on an icon) and click properties. At the bottom of the window there will be a box that can be checked to "hide inactive icons." check the box and click ok. To make it permanently inactive, to the right of the check box you'll see customize. Click that, and look for the star icon. Click on the text that says "hide when inactive" and choose "Always Hide." Click OK and you should be good to go.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:07 PM
  • That won't really help in this situation, as it's the space it takes up on the task area that mainly bothers him, and the double arrow hiding icons notice takes up the same amount of space.

The customer takes great pains to remove all icons from the task area that are unnecessary, rather than having them overtakes the whole taskbar. He had managed to whittle it down to four icons, until WGN came on the scene. I can see why this icon is a good idea for novice users, but I do think power users should have the option of turning it off.

In a way, I agree with him - One of my computing pet hates are programs that think they are important enough to warrant a permanent home in your task area (QuickTime, RealPlayer and co. deserver special mention there...)

From what I understood, SP1 is still supported until October, so in theory, if updates are applied, it's still as close to secure as you can get to secure.

As the primary task of WGA/WGN is to check whether the software is correctly licensed, I feel this function may be overstepping the remit slightly.

Does anyone know if there's a Microsoft Connect page, or feedback centre where I can suggest a change in the way this feature works for a future revision?

Friday, July 21, 2006 9:26 AM
  • Doing some more footwork on this, I have yet to find any documentation warning you that the software warns about service pack levels. Does any documentation or the EULA mention this?

In perticular, I think this information should be added to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474
    Friday, July 21, 2006 12:07 PM
  • Can anyone help further?
    Thursday, August 3, 2006 1:49 PM
  • Dave,

you can right-click on the blue icon in your tray and select 'Change Notification Settings' it will take you to the configurations page, where you may choose not to be prompted anymore. This should get you going :)

Thanks.

Anand

Friday, August 4, 2006 12:40 AM
  • As stated in my first post, this only stops the yellow warning bubble - this does not remove the star icon, or the space it takes up on the taskbar.

After looking around at all the documentation I can find about WGA, I still cannot find any mention of this "Feature", prior to it's permement installation. I feel that this is misleading beheviour, and should be mentioned somewhere in the documentation.

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:36 PM
  • Actually, going back and re-reading kb905474 (Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application), it has the following line:

"If you are running a validated, genuine copy of Windows XP, you will not receive notification messages."

So, not only does the documentation fail to mention the service pack warning icon, but it specifically states that it will not happen. I really think this needs to be amended, or, even better, the next version ow WGN has the option to permenantly disable this icon, providing the installation is proven genuine (as it has in this case)

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:43 PM
  • Dave:

Thank you for your feedback and VERY useful suggestion. While we have a one sided "Microsoft" mind, I do believe its good to get outside feedback. I have agreed to your changes within the group and will push to get this published in the next release (the option to disable the icon).

-Phil Liu

Program Manager,

Windows Genuine Advantage

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:59 PM
  • Thank you very much for taking this feature request on board
    Friday, August 11, 2006 9:30 PM
  • Just a quick follow up: I know you can't talk too much about upcoming software releases, but if the next version of WGN is quite far off on the horizion, could you prehaps make note of the service pack feature of the current version in KB905474?
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:14 AM
  •  Dave21 wrote:
    Just a quick follow up: I know you can't talk too much about upcoming software releases, but if the next version of WGN is quite far off on the horizion, could you prehaps make note of the service pack feature of the current version in KB905474?

Dave, the changes you've requested are being scoped currently - but no matter what, it would require a new version release. :(

-phil

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:06 AM
  • Sorry I didn't make the question clear

I meant would it be possible to ammend document KB905474. As of version 3.3, it states:

"If you are running a validated, genuine copy of Windows XP, you will not receive notification messages"

This makes the icon somewhat of an undocumented feature.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 2:50 PM