Installing from CD-ROM / Network Install? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, im very interested in this little beaut, but i have one small problem...

My server:

Dual Pentium 3 1.2ghz Processors
    2gb ECC Cleared RAM
    108gb RAID-0 Storage on 6 10,000rpm drives
    CD-Rom Drive.

The server specs are fine, but i only have a CD-Rom drive. It is quite a lot of trouble to put a DVD drive in (Would mean me taking my laptop dvd-rom drive out).

Any way?

Cheers

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 3:13 PM

All replies

• I know don't any other ways of doing it. You are going to need a DVD drive.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Erm, apologies if I missed something but changing the CD to a DVD drive consists of:

• Buy DVD drive (e.g. SONY DDU1632/C1 DVD-ROM drive from Outpost, $28, just as cheap all the world over)
    • Open chassis
    • Remove IDE cable
    • Remove power cable
    • Unscrew at most 4 small screws
    • Slide CD drive out
    • Check Master/Slave connector on DVD drive
    • Slide DVD drive in
    • Screw in at most 4 small screws
    • Connect power cable
    • Connect IDE cable
    • Close chassis

I'd give it 10 minutes maximum...

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:24 PM
  • It consists of my finding the screw to undo my laptop cdrom drive, removing it, removing the top cover of my server, removing the cables and the 4 screws for the cdrom drive and then popping it in, putting the cover back on. Its trouble i wouldnt want to go to just for this Stick out tongue    
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:37 PM
  • OK, not familiar with your H/W but 3 things spring to mind...

• Laptop drives are usually a totally different format to desktop drives, physically smaller and with a different connector.  What you're suggesting may be impossible;
    • If the drive is compatible then you may be able to install the DVD drive as the slave on the IDE cable (there's seldom a HDD attached on the same IDE as a CD ROM since the HDD data rate is limited to the speed of a CD drive, which is much lower).  Means slightly less work;
    • I'm a H/W geek so I love installing stuff, but it really isn't a lot of work, and I think WHS is worth doing it for...
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:39 AM
  • Definately a Laptop Drive Stick out tongue

[ Image edited out for size reasons ]
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:47 AM
  • Tom, your best bet is probably to just open up the case and either replace the CD-ROM with a slim combo drive (see e.g. Newegg), or just hook up a DVD-ROM drive for the period of time it takes to install, then disconnect it when you're done. There's no real need to leave it in place once installation is complete.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:26 PM
  • How about just hooking up an external USB DVD drive? Presumably you can set the BIOS to boot from it.
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:58 PM
  • I was successful using an external USB DVD Drive to install WHS on my server.

Jon

Sunday, May 20, 2007 12:06 AM