none
List of issues that need addressing--Any idea when they'll be fixed? RRS feed

• Question

• We just had a recent discussion over on the EW forum, and it seems to me that the place we should be talking about these issues is here. Therefore, herewith a few things that many of us would like to see straightened out. BTW, in my case these occur with FF 2, IE6, SlimBrowser, and Opera 9.5.1.

Are these in process, or what? Any schedule set for addressing them?

cheers,
    scott

==============
    Oliver Black said:

I just discovered that these Expression Web forums fail W3C's Markup Validation Service with about 135 errors...

So MSFT isn't exactly all-standards themselves (I also checked silverlight.net and that had about 580)

==============

Hey, Oliver, join the crowd!  ;-)

FWIW, here's my short list of problems I've found with this/these forums:

Forum problems and issues with Expression Web 2 (and other?) forums

Sign-in glitches - When I come to the forum, and encounter a message to which I would like to reply, I click on the Sign In link in the upper-right corner. I am taken to the Live login page, enter my password and submit, and I am taken back to the forum, where it still says "Sign In" and the Edit and Quote are still disabled. I then click on Sign In again, whereupon I am not taken back to the login page, but am shown a dialog warning that "although this page is encrypted, the information... ," like this

[The inability to paste graphics is evident at this point]

(I believe this is a Firefox warning, not one from the system.) I click the Continue button and encounter the next issue, which is

Invalid certificate - Upon clicking Continue in the warning dialog, an invalid certificate dialog is displayed, as shown here

[and here again, it seems]

Clicking OK (or pressing Enter) usually takes me back to the forum with an active sign-in. Interesting that profile.microsoft.com can't be verified as a trusted site, don'tcha think? Dunno about you guys, but this process looks seriously broken to me.

Delay displaying message list (accompanied by closing Answerers list??) - When I return from viewing a thread by using the Back button, it invariably takes from five to twenty-five seconds for the message list in the forum to update to reflect the current list. Oddly enough, the updating of the list to current status is precisely time-congruent with the closing up of the Top Answerers dialog on the right side of the page. This delay is quite irritating, and I do not understand the reason for it, or why it is associated in any way with the Top Answerers dialog.

Color dialog bugs - This one is just plain broken, period. About once in 7 or 8 attempts, I can get the color dialog to open for either foreground or background. And if you do find yourself fortunate enough to actually invoke the damned dialog, you better have highlighted everything you wanted to modify, because the bloody thing will never open again during that editing session, or possibly during that browsing session. This needs to be fixed.

Font dialog - See "Color dialog bugs." The blasted thing just refuses to drop down. Instead, when you click, it greys the selection color of the text you have selected to modify. That's it. When you click back in the text area, the text remains unmodified (which would be expected, since you got no damned chance to change it).

Blasted edit "reason" - How about, "a bloody typo, OK?" or, "none of your d_amned business," or, "why do you ask?" or, "I changed my mind! So?" I've gotten in the habit of just hitting four periods (actually, since it remembers previous reasons, I just hit the first period, down arrow, and Enter). There is no valid reason for having this requirement. This is the only forum I have ever encountered which requires it. Ditch it!

A simple, "just add the bloody link on paste" capability - OK, I can see where the hyperlink manager can come in handy if/when you need to access its additional capabilities. However, about 95% of the time all I want to do is paste an active hyperlink into the message, period. No alternate link text, title tooltip, bookmark anchor, target, etc., just an active link to a page with the url as the link text. How about making this possible, please?

Breadcrumbs at bottom of page - I have seen this mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Please implement it. It's a PITA to read the sixteenth post on a page and then have to scroll all the way to the top to get to the breadcrumbs.

Inability to copy whole thread/printable version - Occasionally I will encounter threads that contain an extended discussion which I would like to save to make available when not logged into the forum or near a location with online access. Yes, the forum search feature isn't terrible, but I have an EverNote file into which I prefer to save particularly interesting threads which I wish to add to my personal reference notes. It is currently impossible to click/drag to select multiple posts in a thread, nor could I find a button for "printable version," so I currently have to use "Add to EverNote" and let it add the whole page, then go in and edit out all the excess not included in the actual discussion (including, interestingly, apparently hidden instructions for moderators to follow when moving a thread to another forum). How about a "printable verion" option that would enable users to save threads that they find valuable?

Access to html in message body (can't break up quotes for inline reply, etc.) - By the nature of the forum, quite often posts are lengthy and include a number of points. It can be much clearer if replies can be interthreaded with inline replies to specific points. Unless I have missed it somewhere, there is currently no way to achieve this. Any chance of having this capability added?

Submit? Yeah, right. - Sometimes the submit button does nothing. Nada. Zilch. Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to copy, then Cancel, then Reply again, then paste copied reply, and finally Submit again usually gets it to work. Sometimes its worse; I've had the damned thing just sit there and not respond to the Submit button at all, until I've copied off the reply and saved it, canceled the Reply window, and closed and reopened the browser, after which I can return and the bloody system accepts the reply on the next try as if nothing were ever wrong. Sloppy, sloppy...

(Just added) When text is pasted into a  reply, the text cursor vanishes. Right now, I am entering this with no indication whatsoever where it might go. This forum software is seriously phuqued up.

So, the forum fails validation, too? I suppose that's another to add to the list. Lovely.

cheers,
    scott

[and also... ]

Scott, I agree on all your points! Especially the 'double sign-in' drives me nuts.

But you forgot some:

After previewing a long thread you click '(close)' and are left miles down the page and have to scroll all the way back to the top again. Is it really so difficult to take me back to the start of the thread?

Three out of four times the 'Preview Thread' arrow just gives me a javascript error. Click it again and this time it works (maybe)...

The 'Alert Me' check box simply doesn't work for me. After submitting a reply I get an error message saying that this feature has failed.

Why can I - when I add a single line of code in a reply - end up with a scrollable result where the height of the code content is less than a single line?!? So I have to use the tiny scroll arrows to see one line?!?

I do participate in a lot of forums, but - although the posters in this one are among the best - the technical quality of this forum is downright awful.

/MrMox

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:27 AM

Answers

• OK, I'll try to adress as much as I can at a fairly high level. I'm sorry if I miss any major points:

W3C Validity
    Please see this thread: http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/suggest/thread/52cd31e2-a22c-4380-8225-c7c645e64453

Editor usability (links, color, font, code, etc)
    Unfortuately, we're using a 3rd-party (Telerik) editor, so we dont' ahve ful control over this experience. They have been fairly responsive to high-priority bugs that we've sent them, and we're continuing to work with them to make this experience better. Sorry I don't have anythig more contrete on that

Invalid certificate
    I thought I'd seen threads saying that problem was fixed. Can anyone confirm whether it's still happening?

UI delays and button clicks
    In our next release (not the one that's in testing now) we are focusing primarily on performance and user feedback. Also looking to increase the target size on most of the buttons (right now it's the icon and tet, rather than the whole button like one would expect). Look for this sometime around mid-Oct.

Edit reason
    We've made this optional in many scenarios in the next release (early Sept timeframe)

Breadcrumbs at the bottom
    I just became aware of this suggestion a couple of weeks ago. it's interesting and makes some sense, but I dont' know that it's on a schedule.

Message HTML
    Click the "<>" button at the bomtom of the editor window.

Double sign-in issues
    This MAY have to do with some weird state of your cookies (I get something like this from one machine consistently, but not on another). Our next release, we will be changing the sign-in mechanism to the same sign-in page that Live uses now (Yay! I'm thrilled with this since I have 3 LiveIDs that I use daily). I don't know if this will fix your problem, but here's hoping...

Printable
    Well, I've prototyped a print CSS (and there are definitely some kinks to work out there). It's not on a schedule, but if I get a chance to work on it, I will. In my opinion, this is a cleaner solution since we don't have to create and maintain a seperate "print-friendly" page, but I don't think it would give you the clean cut/paste you're looking for.

Closing preview
    I've noticed this too. Definitely annoying, but I'd place it further down the list than some other things we've got. I'll make sure Alicia creates a big for it though so we don't lose track of it.

Alerts
    This is a tricky one. I'm seeing lots of reports of alerts not working, but it's difficult for us to replicate. If we can get some good repro steps for this and can replicate it, we'd have an easier time tracking it down.

I hope this helps...

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Invalid Certificate? No, that's fixed now. (Thankfully)
    Take a chance. Prepare to be surprised.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:33 PM

All replies

• OK, I'll try to adress as much as I can at a fairly high level. I'm sorry if I miss any major points:

W3C Validity
    Please see this thread: http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/suggest/thread/52cd31e2-a22c-4380-8225-c7c645e64453

Unfortuately, we're using a 3rd-party (Telerik) editor, so we dont' ahve ful control over this experience. They have been fairly responsive to high-priority bugs that we've sent them, and we're continuing to work with them to make this experience better. Sorry I don't have anythig more contrete on that

Invalid certificate
    I thought I'd seen threads saying that problem was fixed. Can anyone confirm whether it's still happening?

In our next release (not the one that's in testing now) we are focusing primarily on performance and user feedback. Also looking to increase the target size on most of the buttons (right now it's the icon and tet, rather than the whole button like one would expect). Look for this sometime around mid-Oct.

Edit reason
    We've made this optional in many scenarios in the next release (early Sept timeframe)

I just became aware of this suggestion a couple of weeks ago. it's interesting and makes some sense, but I dont' know that it's on a schedule.

Message HTML

Double sign-in issues
    This MAY have to do with some weird state of your cookies (I get something like this from one machine consistently, but not on another). Our next release, we will be changing the sign-in mechanism to the same sign-in page that Live uses now (Yay! I'm thrilled with this since I have 3 LiveIDs that I use daily). I don't know if this will fix your problem, but here's hoping...

Printable
    Well, I've prototyped a print CSS (and there are definitely some kinks to work out there). It's not on a schedule, but if I get a chance to work on it, I will. In my opinion, this is a cleaner solution since we don't have to create and maintain a seperate "print-friendly" page, but I don't think it would give you the clean cut/paste you're looking for.

Closing preview
    I've noticed this too. Definitely annoying, but I'd place it further down the list than some other things we've got. I'll make sure Alicia creates a big for it though so we don't lose track of it.

Alerts
    This is a tricky one. I'm seeing lots of reports of alerts not working, but it's difficult for us to replicate. If we can get some good repro steps for this and can replicate it, we'd have an easier time tracking it down.

I hope this helps...

Matt
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Invalid Certificate? No, that's fixed now. (Thankfully)
    Take a chance. Prepare to be surprised.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:33 PM
  • mattfras said:

OK, I'll try to adress as much as I can at a fairly high level. I'm sorry if I miss any major points:

W3C Validity

Invalid certificate

Edit reason

Message HTML

Double sign-in issues

Printable

Closing preview

Alerts

I hope this helps...

Matt

Thanks, Matt. It makes things a lot easier to live with knowing that issues have been recognized and are being addressed as quickly as process permits. As an MCP, I realize the amount of regression testing that is required to ensure that a fix for one issue doesn't create two more, especially in an online system as complex as forums can be, and how frustrating it can be when integrating a third-party tool over which one has no control, even when the vendor is being as cooperative as possible.

Thank you very much for taking the time to address my questions as thoroughly as you did. Although I can't say I won't get a bit antsy now and then when things go sideways on me for no apparent reason, I now realize that you guys really are paying attention, and that over time the wrinkles will be ironed out, so I'll be able to be a good deal more philosophical when the wheels fall off. Thanks again.

cheers,
    scott

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:55 AM
  • I post over at the Expression Web Forum and am running into a bothersome issue with Sign-In

After I enter my logon info on the Windows Live Sign-In and click 'Sign In', I get a page saying the page I'm looking for cannot be found. This page has a bunch of search boxes in different languages.

I then go into Favorites in IE7, click on the EW forum link and the forum comes up showing me as 'signed in'.

Very strange. I don't know if this is a bug, or if it's my system. Note that I am not seeing any errors in either XP or IE7, and my internet connection is operating fine on DSL.

Win XP-SP2 (up to date)
    IE 7 (up to date)

Thanks,

-Preston

Columbia, CA. USA http://www.gildedmoon.com
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:31 PM