Can't Change Settings in Windows OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using WOC and Vista without problems for two years. Today I had to move backup files to another disc to make room on the Central Backup Device (CBD). When I tried to start a new backup to the now empty CBD folder, I got the message: "backup on your device is corrupt. Reconfigure backup and try again."

My problem is that I can't get the "Change Settings" link to open to reset the address of the CBD. I am the only user and have administrator priveleges on both the originating computer and the CBD. The CBD is running Windows 2000 and had no problems with the backup function until now.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:22 PM

Answers

• Whew! After closing all applications, Hub shut down and restart fixed the problem. After restart I was able to get to the backup settings and start a full backup. Fortunately OneCare database reset was not necessary.

Thanks for your help.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 6:42 PM

All replies

• if clicking Change Settings on the Hub PC doesn't work, you can try making a different PC into a Hub and see if you can access the settings from there.
    For clarification, which Change Settings are we referring to? The Change Settings link in OneCare's main screen or change settings when viewing the backup plan on the PC? (configure backup on Backup tab)

I also want to note that "Moving" the backup files means that you now need to reset the backup plan. OneCare needs to perform a new full backup for all PCs in your Circle.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:26 PM
  • There are only two computers involved: my everyday working computer (Hub?) with OneCare and the CBD which is a simple Windows 2000 confiuration with lots of disc storage space. The "Change Settings" I want to access is on the left panel of the main OneCare screen. I can't get to the backup plan or CBD destination address.  I am planning to do a full backup as soon as I can reset the destination address of the CBD. 
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:54 PM
  • If Change Settings isn't working, that would typically mean that you are not logged on as an administrator on the PC, though you stated you have Admin privileges.

Well, there are two ways to resolve this assuming that it isn't an easy fix of your Windows login not having admin rights.
    1. Try the database reset tool: 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

Using this resets OneCare and means you would need to configure backup anew, as well as any firewall rules, a/v exclusions, and network settings.

2. Reinstall OneCare. Use the cleanup tool: 

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

Then install the trial from http://onecare.live.com and click subscribe upon completion, signing in with your LiveID for your subscription. (You can check the subscription LiveID before removing the current OneCare install by going to Help/About... in OnCare.)

By reinstalling, you are using the "Hit it with a hammer" approach, but since you are going to do a new backup, that may be the fastest solution.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Arrrrg! I did check my user account and I am set up as an administrator. Since I can't get into my settings, I have no idea how they have evolved over the past two years, so I don't know what the current settings are. Is there any way I can get at that information? I remember It took days of communications with India to get it working right the first time.

I will close all my applications and restart just in case that makes the Change Settings available. Before I log off, is there any other way to restore the destination folder? The file "DO_NOT_DELETE.backupSetID" and empty "Catalogs" and "Files" folders are still in the destination folder.

Also, in the future, what is the best way to manage backup files when they fill up a disc? OneCare is chewing up about 3 Gb a week for backup storage. Even though I designate "Express Bakup" for updates, the total file size is about the same every week. I only need One full backup every 6 months and weeklies for the current 6 months.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:49 PM
  • If you can't get to the settings, there isn't any way to get to them to review them, unfortunately. They are stored in the database. What changes were made to get things working right? Firewall exception, virus exclusions or backup settings?

The issue, at this point, isn't with your backup destination, since you can't get to the settings. The backup destination, although now basically defunct since you moved the zip files out (they can be accessed manually, by the way, using Winzip or similar program to open the zip files and extract data from them...) isn't an issue...yet.

OneCare backup cleanup is something that never got put into the program, which I never understood. Have a look at this post for details - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/f0281206-ed0b-474c-8541-cc50843e5be2

I'm hoping that a restart of the PC might let you get to the change settings option and allow you to proceed without the reinstall or reset I suggested as your solution.

-steve
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Whew! After closing all applications, Hub shut down and restart fixed the problem. After restart I was able to get to the backup settings and start a full backup. Fortunately OneCare database reset was not necessary.

Thanks for your help.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I guess keeping my fingers crossed for you helped. :-)
    Thanks for confirming that all is now well.
    -steve
    Monday, July 6, 2009 7:10 PM