none
This copy of windows is not genuine problems

Question

• I have an ACER PC, and the motherboard fried not too long ago. A new motherboard was installed, and everything was working fine for a while. Then after I log onto Windows Vista, I receive the "this copy of windows is not genuine" error, along with all the activation options: activate online now, enter a product key, run in reduced functionality, etc. I've read a bunch of posts on this issue on these forums, but most of the solutions I've seen require access to the start menu or being able to run the computer in normal mode; I can't get access to my desktop or any functions on the computer at all. When I try to run the computer with reduced functionality, it loads up a browser window to a microsoft support page, but then it immediately freezes and I can't type in the prompts given as solutions in other posts. I've tried running some of the command scripts from other posts in safe mode, but nothing I've tried as of yet has yielded any results. I've also tried inputting the product key from the sticker on the side of my computer (and get told it's not valid) and have tried the automated phone system. It told me it couldn't validate the 9-part activation ID, and passed me onto a tech support rep, who told me the same thing and directed me to ACER. I called ACER, they directed me back to Microsoft. Any help from anybody? I don't know if I'll be able to provide a diagnostic report, as I have no way to copy/paste the diagnostic report from the computer? I have no functionality with the computer other than the login screen, the F2 and F10 menus upon boot-up, and then safe mode. And the reduced functionality option that freezes when the browser window opens (firefox is the default browser on the computer, could this be why it's freezing?) Thanks in advance....
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:59 AM

Answers

• "haystj" wrote in message news:e7f0f17e-09be-4703-b1f8-ed96e39adbe7...
    I have an ACER PC, and the motherboard fried not too long ago. A new motherboard was installed, and everything was working fine for a while. Then after I log onto Windows Vista, I receive the "this copy of windows is not genuine" error, along with all the activation options: activate online now, enter a product key, run in reduced functionality, etc. I've read a bunch of posts on this issue on these forums, but most of the solutions I've seen require access to the start menu or being able to run the computer in normal mode; I can't get access to my desktop or any functions on the computer at all. When I try to run the computer with reduced functionality, it loads up a browser window to a microsoft support page, but then it immediately freezes and I can't type in the prompts given as solutions in other posts. I've tried running some of the command scripts from other posts in safe mode, but nothing I've tried as of yet has yielded any results. I've also tried inputting the product key from the sticker on the side of my computer (and get told it's not valid) and have tried the automated phone system. It told me it couldn't validate the 9-part activation ID, and passed me onto a tech support rep, who told me the same thing and directed me to ACER. I called ACER, they directed me back to Microsoft. Any help from anybody? I don't know if I'll be able to provide a diagnostic report, as I have no way to copy/paste the diagnostic report from the computer? I have no functionality with the computer other than the login screen, the F2 and F10 menus upon boot-up, and then safe mode. And the reduced functionality option that freezes when the browser window opens (firefox is the default browser on the computer, could this be why it's freezing?) Thanks in advance....

Changing the motherboard on a computer outside the warranty conditions invalidates an OEM License - which is what your computer will have come with.
    Unless your motherboard was replaced by Acer themselves, you are going to have to purchase a new Windows License.
    Try booting to Safe Mode, and changing the default browser to IE - that should at least enable proper functioning if reduced functionality mode in Normal boot.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:01 AM

All replies

• "haystj" wrote in message news:e7f0f17e-09be-4703-b1f8-ed96e39adbe7...
    I have an ACER PC, and the motherboard fried not too long ago. A new motherboard was installed, and everything was working fine for a while. Then after I log onto Windows Vista, I receive the "this copy of windows is not genuine" error, along with all the activation options: activate online now, enter a product key, run in reduced functionality, etc. I've read a bunch of posts on this issue on these forums, but most of the solutions I've seen require access to the start menu or being able to run the computer in normal mode; I can't get access to my desktop or any functions on the computer at all. When I try to run the computer with reduced functionality, it loads up a browser window to a microsoft support page, but then it immediately freezes and I can't type in the prompts given as solutions in other posts. I've tried running some of the command scripts from other posts in safe mode, but nothing I've tried as of yet has yielded any results. I've also tried inputting the product key from the sticker on the side of my computer (and get told it's not valid) and have tried the automated phone system. It told me it couldn't validate the 9-part activation ID, and passed me onto a tech support rep, who told me the same thing and directed me to ACER. I called ACER, they directed me back to Microsoft. Any help from anybody? I don't know if I'll be able to provide a diagnostic report, as I have no way to copy/paste the diagnostic report from the computer? I have no functionality with the computer other than the login screen, the F2 and F10 menus upon boot-up, and then safe mode. And the reduced functionality option that freezes when the browser window opens (firefox is the default browser on the computer, could this be why it's freezing?) Thanks in advance....

Changing the motherboard on a computer outside the warranty conditions invalidates an OEM License - which is what your computer will have come with.
    Unless your motherboard was replaced by Acer themselves, you are going to have to purchase a new Windows License.
    Try booting to Safe Mode, and changing the default browser to IE - that should at least enable proper functioning if reduced functionality mode in Normal boot.

--

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Thanks Noel, I'll try that. Um, one question, I'm not entirely familiar with everything in safe mode- how exactly do I go about changing the default browser from safe mode? Is it a straightforward option, or am I gonna have to know my command scripts? I'm not a computer expert, if you couldn't tell already....

Thanks

• Edited by haystj Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:25 PM spelling
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:24 PM
  • "haystj" wrote in message news:21060075-aa82-4042-9637-4e9cea9f04c8...

Thanks Noel, I'll try that. Um, one question, I'm not entirely familiar with everything in safe mode- how exactly do I go about changing the default browser from safe mode? Is it a straightforward option, or am I gonna have to know my command scripts? I'm not a computer expert, if you couldn't tell already....

Thanks

Once in Safe Mode, find a Internet Explorer link and open it.
    Click on Tools > Internet Options
    Click on Programs
    click on the Make Default link
    Click Apply, and then OK out

--

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:11 PM