Replacement CD RRS feed

• Question

• Having found my install is not genuine I need to go through the pain of starting over due to the lack of forsight by MS in not rolling out a tool for users to change keys. I now find that my origonal disk is damaged and was required to pay MS even more money for a replacement.

• Will this replacement CD come with a new Key?
    • If so which key should I use the new or origonal?
    • What happens to the key for the original disk - is it now considered invalid?

Your approach to this validation thing means lots of hard work in reformatting my machine - I believe you do not care how much time is required or how much work is involved to the everyday user to reformat and ensure the systems are back to where they were with no loss.

Rgds Simon

Saturday, May 6, 2006 12:34 PM

Answers

•  Scouse_P wrote:

Having found my install is not genuine I need to go through the pain of starting over due to the lack of forsight by MS in not rolling out a tool for users to change keys. I now find that my origonal disk is damaged and was required to pay MS even more money for a replacement.

I would not consider this a lack of foresight. As said before, we fully recommend reinstalling Windows because of the tendency to have hacked binary files or security loopholes that may have been created to bypass WGA. If you have a COA sticker (license), you can definitely use another CD to install.

Scouse_P wrote:

• Will this replacement CD come with a new Key?
    • If so which key should I use the new or origonal?
    • What happens to the key for the original disk - is it now considered invalid?

1 - Yes

2 - Is your original Genuine? You can use either in this case. It would be easier to use the new key, however.

3 - is the original key considered genuine? Remember, most Product Keys are not tied to specific CD's.

Scouse_P wrote:

Your approach to this validation thing means lots of hard work in reformatting my machine - I believe you do not care how much time is required or how much work is involved to the everyday user to reformat and ensure the systems are back to where they were with no loss.

Rgds Simon

Simon:

Excuse me for being on the defensive side, but please realize that Microsoft is trying to protect customers and all users from being taken advantage of by illegal use of software. In addition, we are working to protect the intellectual property that we have worked so very hard to create.

I hope you believe that many people within Microsoft experience reformats very frequency - we understand the predicament you're in.

-Phil Liu

Sunday, May 7, 2006 6:44 AM