WHS Console on HP LX195 stops responding RRS feed

• Question

• Today, I wanted to change a setting in my WHS, so I opened the console, and logged on. The logon took longer than usual, and every time i tried to click anything, the server would stop responding. I did a reset, which did not fix the problem, and i manually turned off and back on the server. I can go into the server folders and copy things to it and take things of it, and that works perfectly fine. I do not have anything to lose on it, so should i do a server recovery, factory reset, or something else?
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:36 AM

Answers

• I tried to run chkdsk, but every time got the error "Cannot lock current drive.
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?"

The first time i said yes, restarted the system, and nothing happened. So i ran it again, and got the same error, but this time saying no to checking after restarting.

Did you check the Application logs in the Event Viewer on the server to see if there were any errors from your chkdsk?  Also, you could try running it on all the drives in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.

This is an HP LX195 pre-built server, and automatic updating is on, so it might have installed Power Pack 3 without me knowing, in which case indexing would make sense. How would i be able to see if Power Pack 3 did in fact install with using the WHS Console?

Open the Console and click the Settings button, then the Resources tab.  However, I assume you meant "...without using the WHS Console", in which case you would need to logon to the server destkop, go to Control Panel >  Add/Remove Programs and look for Power Pack 3 (make sure you have show updates checked as well).

Also, my server has been accessing the external drives even when i am not using it and backups are not running, and i did found it confusing that it was accessing a drive that had no data at all on it.

• Marked as answer by rygavs Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:47 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:54 AM

All replies

• Today, I wanted to change a setting in my WHS, so I opened the console, and logged on. The logon took longer than usual, and every time i tried to click anything, the server would stop responding. I did a reset, which did not fix the problem, and i manually turned off and back on the server. I can go into the server folders and copy things to it and take things of it, and that works perfectly fine. I do not have anything to lose on it, so should i do a server recovery, factory reset, or something else?
    You could start by running chkdsk /r on the OS partition of the primary drive in your server.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:33 AM
  • How would i do that? I cant access the server console remotely and since it is not based on computer, it is not possible to plug in a screen, mouse or, keyboard. There is only 1 drive in the server, and it is not replaceable, and its only a couple of months old, so i doubt it would be drive failure.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:42 AM
  • How would i do that? I cant access the server console remotely and since it is not based on computer, it is not possible to plug in a screen, mouse or, keyboard.

You can run chkdsk by logging into the server desktop through Remote Desktop Connection (using Administrator for the user name and your server password for the password).  Note that logging into the server desktop is unsupported, but running chkdsk /r won't hurt anything.

There is only 1 drive in the server, and it is not replaceable, and its only a couple of months old, so i doubt it would be drive failure.
    It might be indexing as well (especially if you just recently installed Power Pack 3).  Is this a pre-built server (HP, Acer, etc) or a DIY?
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:52 AM
  • You can run chkdsk by logging into the server desktop through Remote Desktop Connection (using Administrator for the user name and your server password for the password).  Note that logging into the server desktop is unsupported, but running chkdsk /r won't hurt anything.
    I tried to run chkdsk, but every time got the error "Cannot lock current drive.
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?"

The first time i said yes, restarted the system, and nothing happened. So i ran it again, and got the same error, but this time saying no to checking after restarting.

This is an HP LX195 pre-built server, and automatic updating is on, so it might have installed Power Pack 3 without me knowing, in which case indexing would make sense. How would i be able to see if Power Pack 3 did in fact install with using the WHS Console? Also, my server has been accessing the external drives even when i am not using it and backups are not running, and i did found it confusing that it was accessing a drive that had no data at all on it.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:16 AM
  • I tried to run chkdsk, but every time got the error "Cannot lock current drive.

Did you check the Application logs in the Event Viewer on the server to see if there were any errors from your chkdsk?  Also, you could try running it on all the drives in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.

This is an HP LX195 pre-built server, and automatic updating is on, so it might have installed Power Pack 3 without me knowing, in which case indexing would make sense. How would i be able to see if Power Pack 3 did in fact install with using the WHS Console?

Open the Console and click the Settings button, then the Resources tab.  However, I assume you meant "...without using the WHS Console", in which case you would need to logon to the server destkop, go to Control Panel >  Add/Remove Programs and look for Power Pack 3 (make sure you have show updates checked as well).

Also, my server has been accessing the external drives even when i am not using it and backups are not running, and i did found it confusing that it was accessing a drive that had no data at all on it.

• Marked as answer by rygavs Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:47 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Just wanted to update, i did a server recovery, which failed, so I ended up doing a factory reset, which fixed all of my problems.
    Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:47 PM