none
MCSE Labs - Do They Exist? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Not long back my company required a number of employees to obtain MCSE status for certification of which I was one. I had a number of Microsoft qualifications previous and dabble a little with our day to day domain stuff so over the course of a year or so I passed the exams required. I also previously passed a number of Exchange exams to be MCITP or something like that.

But here's the kicker, I work in a primarily Cisco voice environment dealing with Callmanager, Gateways, UCCX as well as other 3rd party products such as Verint Witness, Arc Systems, Zeacom to name a few. I get minimal exposure to Microsoft stuff as we do not support customers domains but will be in the future as we are moving into Datacentre hosted solutions. I don't feel my skills are up to scratch if I'm honest, I add users to the domain, unlock passwords, maybe give someone rights to another persons calendar or email blah blah

The plan - So I am asking the good people of technet if they know of any links or materials such as labs to setup ranging from basic to advanced both MCSE and Exchange. I have a beast of a server I bought running VMWare ESX-i and can knock 2 birds with one stone solidifying my mcse knowledge whilst learning this VMware product at the same time.
    Examples of what I'm hoping is out there based on how I learnt my CCNA. During my course we had labs, setup a connection from router A to router B. As time went on the labs would get switches chucked in, then vlans would turn up, then inter-vlan routing and the way it was done with Cisco just engrained the info in your head very well as each lab was a step on from the last one until you had a full ccna level network running.

So please, if anyone can advise/help out on where I can find similar difficulty tiered labs get in touch. All advice welcome

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

• I would suggest you try with MS Virtual Labs first, they provide an excellent way of learning Windows Admin.

http://www.microsoft.com/events/vlabs/default.mspx

Additionally you might find Microsoft Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) format useful:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738372.aspx

My company uses ESX-i as well, I use Hyper-V occationally.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Michael Mei
    Monday, July 19, 2010 11:23 PM
  • well i would suggest to use the vp..or virtual pc ...its much better ...srry if am wrong ..
    WANT TO BE DA VINCI OF TODAYS WORLD
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Thanks for the links, took a look but didn't see much on AD, DNS, DHCP, Group Policies, Windows SUS etc etc

Was hoping for printed labs that I can just follow with the servers I've created on my esxi already. Appreciate your time though

Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:25 PM
  • well i used virtual pc. I had a problem. Actually i installed win server 2003 and i copied the installed server on vp and then tried to create domain. But it was unable to connect. And neither was able to take remote access. It gives error that ip conflicts. What should i do? Help thanks in advance
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 10:27 AM

All replies

• I would suggest you try with MS Virtual Labs first, they provide an excellent way of learning Windows Admin.

http://www.microsoft.com/events/vlabs/default.mspx

Additionally you might find Microsoft Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) format useful:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738372.aspx

My company uses ESX-i as well, I use Hyper-V occationally.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Michael Mei
    Monday, July 19, 2010 11:23 PM
  • well i would suggest to use the vp..or virtual pc ...its much better ...srry if am wrong ..
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Thanks for the links, took a look but didn't see much on AD, DNS, DHCP, Group Policies, Windows SUS etc etc

Was hoping for printed labs that I can just follow with the servers I've created on my esxi already. Appreciate your time though

Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:25 PM
  • well i used virtual pc. I had a problem. Actually i installed win server 2003 and i copied the installed server on vp and then tried to create domain. But it was unable to connect. And neither was able to take remote access. It gives error that ip conflicts. What should i do? Help thanks in advance
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 10:27 AM
  • well the problem u faced is due to the use of same copy of hard disk on vp. You must have installed win 2003 and then just copied the installed hard disk on vp again. The problem is clear your both O.S have same SID. With same SID its impossible to connect both o.s. Now you have two choices 1. Either install both the o.s separately one after another and dont copy . 2. Use SID changer to change any 1 of O.S id. Just email me on apurwaraj99@hotmail.com and i will send you the SID changer to ur mail. This happened to my frnd too. So dont worry.
    • Proposed as answer by ashish_chandra Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:21 PM
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 11:43 AM
  • well thanks .... the sid changer you gave worked ....

i also tried to install it separately ..it worked too thanks ...

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:21 PM