Can Ghost 15 co-exist with WHS backup? RRS feed

• Question

• With my 3 year old XP computer, I never had any issues running WHS backups in addition to Norton Ghost 9 backups.  On my new Win 7 x64 computer, I'm running WHS backups in addition to Norton Ghost 15.  I'm seeing no error messages with either backup method, per se.  BUT, I'm seeing warnings in the System Log each time WHS backup attempts to begin for C: drive.  Source is NTFS, Event ID 57, "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

These messages coincide exactly with an entry in the Application Log, Source is HomeServer, Event ID is 771, "Backup of volume C: to SERVER started".  Also in the App log, in the 3 seconds between HomeServer Event ID 768, "Backup set %1 started on SERVER", and Event ID 771, there are 10 entries from Symantec SymSnap, Event ID 100, like "Info 67B70191: Symantec SymSnap VSS Software Provider Started Successfully."

It looks like there is some unexpected interaction between Ghost and WHS backup, but I am not sure if this means there is a real problem.

Any thoughts?

Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:19 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server uses Volume Shadowcopy Services (VSS) during backups. Other backup tools also do so, and (in some cases) unexpected interactions may result. I would recommend you test your Windows Home Server backups by opening one or several and restoring a few arbitrary files, to make sure the backups are actually working. If they are working, I wouldn't worry about it further.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:18 PM