MS Money vs. Quicken. RRS feed

• General discussion

• As a loyal Microsoft customer I found myself uninstalling Money and installing Quicken.  It was an unusual experience and one I felt needed explanation.  Here's the long and short of it:  Money is too dumbed-down and it makes mundane tasks too hard to perform.  For instance, the menu's are so broad (and, consequently, vague) that you have to dig and dig if you are looking to perform a specific task.  When I want to write a check, sometimes that's all I want to do!  I don't want to add a payee or create a reoccurring bill, I want to write a check.  Money makes that task nearly impossible, while Quicken has a menu item called "write checks".  

My guess is that, in an effort to make Money friendly to the lowest level end user, the designers decided to bury everything and present a clean, simple interface.  But that only works if you're willing to dig through menus and follow wizards to perform all of your tasks.  Some of us aren't and, my feeling is, we'll be essentially forced to use Quicken.  Good luck selling the program to little old ladies and fielding all of their support calls.     
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:45 AM