none
DATA Drive corrupt? RRS feed

• Question

• Happy VD,

It seems my DATA drive is repeatedly becoming corrupt. I had problems with network transfers last week that I identified as drive problems after much troubleshooting. I removed two drives and everything suddenly worked great and worked great for a week. Now the problems are back.

There are no errors in the event log and Chkdsk completes with no errors. However the Drive Properties shows garbage characters (E.G. "+|+(%\+@" - you get the idea) under Free space for the DATA drive.

Is that normal for WHS?

Can I conclusively say this is due to a bad drive? If so, how do you suggest I identify the bad drive?

Thanks for any help.

My current config is 3 x 1T WD Green Caviar drives and 2 x .5T WD Caviar drives.

The drives are at about 50% full. The problem last week occured when the drives where 20% full. I'm constantly adding new files which may be exposing this problem.

-Rodger
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:25 PM

Answers

• RodgerKeesee said:

Happy VD,

It seems my DATA drive is repeatedly becoming corrupt. I had problems with network transfers last week that I identified as drive problems after much troubleshooting. I removed two drives and everything suddenly worked great and worked great for a week. Now the problems are back.

There are no errors in the event log and Chkdsk completes with no errors. However the Drive Properties shows garbage characters (E.G. "+|+(%\+@" - you get the idea) under Free space for the DATA drive.

Is that normal for WHS?

First, can you verify that it's the Free space on your D partition where you see those characters (and not the Used space)?  If it's actually the Used space that has those characters, yes, that's normal.  It's due to the fact that Vista will not start to copy data to a drive if there isn't sufficient free space available.  MS released an update a few months back (KB957825) that tricks WHS into displaying the entire free space of the server to the clients (before the update, the clients would only see the free space on the primary drive in the server).  The result of the update is what you now see on the D partition of your server.  (If it is in fact the Free space with those characters, then you might have a problem.)

RodgerKeesee said:

Can I conclusively say this is due to a bad drive? If so, how do you suggest I identify the bad drive?

Thanks for any help.

My current config is 3 x 1T WD Green Caviar drives and 2 x .5T WD Caviar drives.

The drives are at about 50% full. The problem last week occured when the drives where 20% full. I'm constantly adding new files which may be exposing this problem.

-Rodger

Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:45 PM

All replies

• RodgerKeesee said:

Happy VD,

Is that normal for WHS?

First, can you verify that it's the Free space on your D partition where you see those characters (and not the Used space)?  If it's actually the Used space that has those characters, yes, that's normal.  It's due to the fact that Vista will not start to copy data to a drive if there isn't sufficient free space available.  MS released an update a few months back (KB957825) that tricks WHS into displaying the entire free space of the server to the clients (before the update, the clients would only see the free space on the primary drive in the server).  The result of the update is what you now see on the D partition of your server.  (If it is in fact the Free space with those characters, then you might have a problem.)

RodgerKeesee said:

Thanks for any help.

-Rodger

Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Thanks,
    It is the USED SPACE so i guess that's normal - BUT This thing is fully patched.

FREE SPACE displays the same free space number in the WHS Console.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:18 AM
  • RodgerKeesee said:

Thanks,
    It is the USED SPACE so i guess that's normal - BUT This thing is fully patched.

FREE SPACE displays the same free space number in the WHS Console.

Then you're fine.  It's the patch I listed above that causes that issue to occur.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:36 AM