How can I turn off OneCare's auto-updater? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am finding my experience with Windows Live OneCare to be extremely aggravating, in the fact that it always picks the worst times to to do a scan or update or tune-up.   Without fail (and I'm not exaggerating), it will turn it's self on, while I'm running a program that is taxing my computer's processes to it's limits.  It bogs my computer down to the point where i can't do anything.  I don't want it turning it's self on.  I want the option to turn it on manually and remove it's autonomy.  I do not see an option for this in any of the settings. 
      The only options I see, are how to set the day and time for when it does it's updates/scans/tune-ups.  But, even when i set the day and time for it to it's thing, it does not do it at the schedualed time and day.   It instead starts up when my computer is already taxed to it's limits.  Why does it do this???  I find it extremely frustrating and intrusive!  Why is there no option to turn it off? How am i supposed to stop these intrusive scans without removing the software completely.   It is not doing what it is supposed to do and it wasting much of my time.

So again, how do i turn the auto functions off?  How do i stop it from doing scans, updates and tune-ups whenever it seems to feel like doing them?

I would very much appreciate some help with this problem.  Thank you.

Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:58 AM

Answers

• There is no way to turn off these One Care functions. Updates should not interfere with normal computer activity. Malware scans can be scheduled to run weekly and tune up can be scheduled to run monthly and for the most part One Care will perform these tasks when scheduled. These tasks will seemingly run at random times if they are scheduled to run at a time when your computer is off.

Jim 
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:37 AM