Windows XP Validation Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having problems validating my Windows XP.

a few weeks ago i sent my computer to a local computer shop for everything to be rebooted on it, as it was going really slow!
    Now that it is back i'm always getting a message saying "your system may be at rick" so i followed the instuctions on how to validate, however since Windows XP came with the computer when i bought it, i chose the 'update your product key' option. (there is a yellow box on this page with 'OS Version, Manufacturer, Model, and Product Key' all filled in) but every time i write in the product key from the sticker on the side of the computer it says that its not the right one from the computer!

I was wondering if anyone could help me ASAP, as i'm a Graphics student and i'm finding it a really long process to install any of my UNI programs as i get the Validation page every time i try.

Thanks x
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:34 PM

Answers

• Xtrmntr,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

From what you posted, it's likely the shop used a nongenuine copy of XP Pro on your computer.  If your CoA is not for XP Pro, the Key Updater will not work.  In such case you will have to use the manufacturer provided Recovery Solution to put the original XP installation back onto the computer.

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:21 PM