Deleted Sub Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'm having a very similar problem.
    I haven't submitted a bug report yet but will tomorrow.
    I have 3 machines in my mesh; 1 workstation, 1 laptop and 1 VM. I had everything syncing, all was good. I set up my mesh to do peer-to-peer on 6 folders, syncing about 15GB data, and a single folder synced with the three machines and the live desktop with about 300MB data.
    I decided yesterday that I didn't need all this on my VM so I deleted a subfolder of the mesh folder  (with 10GB data) thinking that it was a child to the parent (I considered the workstation the parent as it was the source of all the files and where I initiated the sync from) and that it would delete the subfolder on the VM only.
    I should have read the note on the delete folders help section a little more carefully as, in fact, the subfolder and 100s of hours of work were deleted on the other two machines as well. As I have offsite backup (thanks be to God!) I wasn't freaked but as I read things a little more carefully I checked the recycle bin and lo and behold there are all the files.
    Now things get weird.
    I do a restore, check the directories and all the files are there. A little while later I go to access one of the files and it's gone. I check the subfolder and YIKES, it's all back in the recycle bin again. I ran the collect live mesh logs after this.
    Then I went to the folder on my workstation and set sync options to not sync with the VM. I restored from the recycle bin a second time but when I checked the contents, the folders were there but no files or maybe there would be a thumbs.db in some of them. All the directory structure by no data.
    I checked the laptop and the files are in the recycle bin there, so I went back to the live desktop, set all the folders to not sync with anything and deleted them. I'm in the process of uninstalling live mesh from all my machines as I decide what to do, maybe stick with synctoy for now.
    It does look like all the files are in the holding area but without any directory structure so I don't know if there is some way to restore them from there? Otherwise I will need to move them from my laptop or have mozypro send me a dvd.
    My workstation is running Win7ProX64, 8GB RAM, Intel Q9450 and two RAID arrays (1 system, 1 data).
    Laptop is a stock Sony Vaio Intel Centrino dual core, 2GB RAM.
    VM is a VMWare Workstation 7 guest, Vistax86, configured for 3GB RAM.
    I hope the problem is found quickly as it live mesh could be a very useful tool.
    Thanks,
    Herb
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:35 AM

Answers

• Yes, deleting the files from any PC in the Mesh sets in motion the deletion on all devices. It is a sync process. When you then reacted to this and restored things on one PC, but allowed the deletions form others, you probably created a conflict situation, hence the reason they are in the holding area. Basically Live Mesh on that machine knows that the instructions are to delete the files, yet, it has other instructions to update them. The folders without files in the recycle bin was because Live Mesh had not yet been able to complete the instructions it was carrying out based on the conflicting delete/add information it had.
    Your only recourse now is to do what you are doing - that is, remove Live Mesh from the machines and then remove the devices from the Mesh at www.mesh.com - at which point you can repair/recover the damage.
    Files in the holding area would usually indicate that you should see conflicts in the notifier which can be handled one at a time, but with folders deleted, the chance of easy conflict resolution might be slim. And, with Live Mesh removed, you can't obviously use the conflict resolution process to restore.
    The problem is that the Sync process can be confusing. It is working as designed, though. A bug report would perhaps be helpful to let the Live Mesh team know what you encountered, in case I'm wrong on the sequence of events and the actual cause.
    Do note that any data you have in a Mesh folder should also be backed up to a location outside of the Mesh as this is a beta and strange things can happen, though actual data loss is rare.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:56 PM

All replies

• Yes, deleting the files from any PC in the Mesh sets in motion the deletion on all devices. It is a sync process. When you then reacted to this and restored things on one PC, but allowed the deletions form others, you probably created a conflict situation, hence the reason they are in the holding area. Basically Live Mesh on that machine knows that the instructions are to delete the files, yet, it has other instructions to update them. The folders without files in the recycle bin was because Live Mesh had not yet been able to complete the instructions it was carrying out based on the conflicting delete/add information it had.
    Your only recourse now is to do what you are doing - that is, remove Live Mesh from the machines and then remove the devices from the Mesh at www.mesh.com - at which point you can repair/recover the damage.
    Files in the holding area would usually indicate that you should see conflicts in the notifier which can be handled one at a time, but with folders deleted, the chance of easy conflict resolution might be slim. And, with Live Mesh removed, you can't obviously use the conflict resolution process to restore.
    The problem is that the Sync process can be confusing. It is working as designed, though. A bug report would perhaps be helpful to let the Live Mesh team know what you encountered, in case I'm wrong on the sequence of events and the actual cause.
    Do note that any data you have in a Mesh folder should also be backed up to a location outside of the Mesh as this is a beta and strange things can happen, though actual data loss is rare.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Thanks Stephen for the reply.
    I'm in the process of restoring from mozypro as there were some files missing in the laptop instance as well. Indeed backup often, have multiple backup locations and for critical data have offsite backup too. Without having backups I would be in a world of hurt right now.
    If you can make a suggestion to the developers to add the ability to define one of the sync entities as a parent such that changes in the parent always flow to the child but changes in the child would have to be reviewed/accepted in the parent. I think that would make mesh more usable for me.
    Cheers!
    Herb
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:57 PM
  • You're welcome, Herb.
    That's a good suggestion - kind of like the SyncToy concept of echo vs. sync.
    I don't know if anyone has suggested this before, but you can check or submit a new suggestion per the following:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

One way to sort of get this is by sharing the folder with another LiveID also set up for Live Mesh. You would then set up the sharing to only give read access rights to the other LiveID. That "child" would not cause any changes to reflect back to the primary Mesh. Of course, this doesn't address the relationship between the Live Desktop and any PCs in the primary Mesh.
    -steve

Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:20 PM