Database inconsistency and subsequent isssues RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening - just an outline of some of the difficulties I have had in the last 24 hours and looking for some understanding of what may have gone wrong.

Given that it is now a while since Windows XP SP3 came out I thought it reasonably safe to install it on the five computers in the household.  I downloaded the ISO from the Microsoft site and burned the disc.

I loaded SP3 on each machine and then immediately manually backed up to WHS. I had no difficulty in connecting to the server and each backup seemed to go well with no indication of any failures.  All in all I thought it was a good days work.

That is until this morning when I turned on the WHS unit to find a red critical icon advisory me of a database inconsistency issue.  I was stunned as although I am very risk adverse about the only thing that I did not have a backup of was the database file on the WHS.  I had been meaning to buy a 1TB external drive to copy this file too on weekly (?) basis however something always got in the way!

Anyway I have external copies of all my personal documents and photos and music etc so the situation was not at crisis point but I was extermely annoyed as I thought I had done everything by the book in terms of SP3 and backing up.

I was aware of the "brubber" thread re fixing inconsistency errors - I am not a novice at these things however the process outlined there looked fairly intense so after checking the bleeding obvious I took the very pragmatic step of deleting all the backups and started again.

But my problems did not end there.  The first PC to backup has a main C drive (in 2 partitiions) and another physical drive at F which I use for general imaging with Acronis as well as SyncToy copies of documents / muisc on other PCs.  It has about 130GB of data with some large Acronis files up to 30GB.

The WHS now stalls when trying to back up this drive.  The backing up stops at about the 75% complete mark and the event viewer shows a red error with a complex messaging including... Backup set 2 at server failed; protocol, protocol exemption; binary Write ExBtye; Int 32offset, Int32 length......  I have never in the past had any trouble at all in backing up this drive.

I tried to Google some of the error messages but could find nothing useful.

So I removed drive F from the backup routine and the process now works well.  I have had no trouble backing up the other four PCs in the house.

My WHS is a home built system with a single 500GB HDD with a 750GB HDD ready to go in once SP1  is formally released.  I am not running the beta SP1.  It is somewhat ironic that I have kept the 750GB drive out of the system because of the corruption issue!

On the WHS console the existing 500 GB drive is showing a healthy indication and as the HDD is near new I doubt if there is anything wrong there.

I have just turned the WHS back on after around two hours of being off and all the indications are showing heatlhy.

So I have wasted a beautiful winters day here in Brisbane getting back to where I was this time last night.

Can anyone explain what may have gone wrong and any hints on how I can get the backup working of the drive F?

Regards

Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:44 AM

Answers

• Just an update I ran Chkdsk and again no errors reported / fixed.

Just on spec I ran a manual backup including the HDD that previously would not back up and lo and behold it did back up and has done so twice since then.

It has me completely stumped!

Regards

PS - Just loaded up PP1 and it went in with no trouble.

Friday, July 25, 2008 12:03 PM

All replies

• Since you are backing up very large data files, the first thing I would make sure of is that those large files are not being competed for during backup, which can take a long time. For example, if your imaging or synching utility is kicking in while the backup is taking place, then the backup might die.
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:59 PM
  • Thanks- all the other backup systems (Acronis etc) are set to run on manual.

I keep thinking that it may be something to do with the size of the Acronis image file however it did backup OK prior to the SP3 installation.

I am at a bit of a loss to understand what is going on and my faith in WHS has been somewhat shaken.

Regards

Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

On the drive that won't back up, have you ran chdsk /f ? The backup will fail if there is any data inconsistency. Also, what does the error message actually say?

Colin

Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Thanks - yes I have run Chkdsk for find and fix errors and no errors were reported.  After work today I will run the check facility from Acronis Director however I am pretty sure that it is the same program just dressed up under an Acronis banner.

The error message cannot be cut and paste however when following up on the links it comes up with Event ID 770 however the help page at Microsoft provides no guidance.

Regards

Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hi again,

The ID 770 could indicate a VSS service problem, but that usually affects the whole backup. However, it could be worth running the following: (taken from a previous post by brubber)

in command shell do:

Code Snippet

Cd windows\system32

Net stop vss

Net stop swprv

regsvr32 ole32.dll

regsvr32 vss_ps.dll

Vssvc /Register

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll

regsvr32 es.dll

regsvr32 stdprov.dll

regsvr32 vssui.dll                           ##Possibly only applicable for Windows 2003##

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.

if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324460

If some of the other required files are missing or corrupt you can COPY them from C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Colin

Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Just an update I ran Chkdsk and again no errors reported / fixed.

Just on spec I ran a manual backup including the HDD that previously would not back up and lo and behold it did back up and has done so twice since then.

It has me completely stumped!

Regards

PS - Just loaded up PP1 and it went in with no trouble.

Friday, July 25, 2008 12:03 PM
  •  port50side wrote:

The error message cannot be cut and paste however when following up on the links it comes up with Event ID 770 however the help page at Microsoft provides no guidance.

Actually, if this is an error you're seeing in the event viewer all you need to do is open the event and click the third button down on the right side of the Event Properties dialog box... that will copy the full information on that specific event to the clip board - no need to type anything.

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:05 PM
  • From other threads, it appears that various other products such as Acronis, interfere with or modify the VSS service which causes problems with the backup process. I wonder if you are getting conflicts between them.

Colin 

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:24 PM
  • That is an interesting thought and it had not occured to me as I thought that they were mutally exclusive processes.

I may raise it on the Acronis forums.

I suppose it raises the issue of why I use both backup approaches -at least with the Acronis software you can take a mirror image of a fresh system to a DVD and store it off site.  Not as easy to store the WHS offsite however with an external drive I could always take a copy of the backup files as described in the Microsoft documentation.

Maybe I am being too risk adverse  - then again this whole drama started with an inconsistency error in the database and I am not closer to finding out what caused that.

Many thanks (also for the earlier thread about copying from the event window).

Regards

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:48 PM