Restoring backups RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

<:AtomicElement> 

<:AtomicElement>I recently had to restore from backup after my pc refused top start.

<:AtomicElement>As some of my old stuff is redundant now I was hoping that i would be allowed to be selective in what i restored, but I wasn't given any choice as to what would be restored - It was all or nothing.

<:AtomicElement>Is this an intended feature or did I miss something durung the restore process?

<:AtomicElement>Tom

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• Not sure what's happened here - whats an atomic element?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:38 PM
  • That's strange, Tom. Did you paste the text you wrote into the forum Message box?

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:49 PM
  • When you started the restore process, you should have seen:

Restore files from a local backup

and then:

Express Restore

Custom Restore

If you selected Express Restore, you get no more choices and it restores all missing files from your most recent backup.

If you select Custom Restore, you get more choices - "Restore files from the current backup..." and "Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer."

Custom Restore allows you to pick specific files from a specific backup. I suspect that you selected Express Restore.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Steve - no I didn't, I tried topost the question as a comment but for some reason I couldn't click in the text bo so i clicked to raise it as a question typed my text then clicked the radio button for a comment.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:38 PM
  • I seem to recall that i followed the custom option but when i got to the bit where i had to show either the file type or actual file name I gave up because I don't know all the file extensions.

Wouldn't it be easier to be able to browse the backup and pick out folders or files?

Tom

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:45 PM
  •  Tom_g35 wrote:

I seem to recall that i followed the custom option but when i got to the bit where i had to show either the file type or actual file name I gave up because I don't know all the file extensions.

Wouldn't it be easier to be able to browse the backup and pick out folders or files?

Tom

You'd think so. The restore function is a bit more difficult than it should be, in my opinion. Once you select the file type, you do get a list to select specific files, but it is a clunky window to navigate. You would need to resize the columns to see the path for the files so you could select the files. There is no folder selection option, though, which would be a whole lot easier.

Doing a complete simple restore works quite well for most people. A selective restore gets a bit trickier.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:48 PM
  • It's not the most user friendly restore but the important bit is that I got everything back so well done onecare. Maybe a change could be made for a future version?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Yes indeed, I do hope that the backup and restore area is totally revamped!

Glad that you were able to restore all of your data, too!

-steve

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:20 AM