Can you upgrade your version of vista by just changing the product key? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I currently have windows vista home premium installed on my system.  I also own a copy of windows vista ultimate that I got from my university.  I know that everyone vista CD comes all versions of vista on them and that all features are installed on your system when you install vista but they are locked based on the product key you enter.  I was wondering if it's possible to unlock these features by just changing the product key in the control panel or do you have to do a full upgrade.  I also checked out the windows anytime upgrade but the only way to use that seems to be to purchase it first, it doesn't seem to allow you to use that if you already have a key.

Ultimatley, I just want to upgrade to vista ultimate without losing any of my system settings and program functionality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I don't want to have to go through the hassle of an upgrade or worse full install and have to reinstall everything.
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 5:23 PM

Answers

• Upgrading to another edition of Windows Vista requires using an upgrade Windows Vista disc and an appropriate product key.  You cannot simply change the product key and expect to upgrade to a different version of Vista.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:22 AM