Installing New Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had a copy of Windows Live OneCare on my PC for the past year, I got the reminder that my subscription was up and that I had to renew and I could do it online for $49.99, while I was thinking about what to do I went to Costco to see how much I could purchase Norton AV for, and I found Microsoft Windows Live OneCare on sale at the store, it was $39.99 with a $30.00 instant manufacturer's rebate.  Considering how much a renewal is I purchased the new copy and attempted to install it.  It told me I already had a copy installed and I had to remove the existing copy before I could continue.  I uninstalled the original copy of the software and installed the new one that I purchased.  After I rebooted I got a  prompt to tie this to my existing computer, and it brought me to a login for Windows Live.  I logged in and it activated the software however it is now telling me again that my subscription is expired and i need to renew.  I just purchased this software less then a month ago and never activated it.  CAn somebody help me, all I need is to activate for the 1 year that I purchased.

thanks

Kevin

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 2:36 AM

Answers

• You did not need to reinstall OneCare, you simply needed to renew with the key from your new retail copy. When you activated the new install with the same LiveID as you existing subscription, it inherited the subcription status.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:35 AM