Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo Home Server Review... RRS feed

All replies

• Would you have any idea whether the SCALEO will be available in the US or is it a Europe-only thing? I'm really disappointed that the only option in the US aside from something you build yourself is HP. I really like the power management features of the SCALEO. The HP doesn't have taht.

Monday, May 5, 2008 3:37 AM
  • Fujitsu-Siemens is a European manufacturer with no US presence. The chassis that they used is from Intel, and there are other manufacturers with WHS units on the same chassis in the pipeline, but the custom power management of the Scaleo is by F-S.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 12:17 PM
  • You can pick up pretty much the same system from Velocity Micro and Avideus:

Check out:

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=143

http://www.avideus.com/hse.php

Cheers

Terry

Monday, May 5, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Neither of those includes the power saving features of the Scaleo as far as I know, Terry.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 7:34 PM
  • I didn't see any mention of power management on those web sites. I did find a power management add-in called LightsOut, but it requires disabling sbcore. I gather from reading forums for that addin that sbcore will cause the system to wake up every 30 minutes which kinda negates the whole purpose of the addin.

Will that "feature" of sbcore be disabled or at least configurable in the upcoming powerpack? I don't want to disable something that sounds like a core piece of the server. Is there any functionality that I will be missing if I go ahead and disable that service and use the LightsOut addin?

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:46 AM
  • SBCORE is a component of Small Business Server; it checks to see that you remain within your license terms. Disabling the service will have no negative effect on Windows Home Server, but it wouldn't completely surprise me if the next time a service pack for Windows Server 2003 is released, SBCORE is re-enabled.
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:52 AM