Migrating Money attachments from XP to Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from Windows XP, running Money Plus, to Windows 7, running the Money Sunset Edition.  I had no problems installing Money Sunset or opening and using my old My Money.mny data file with Windows 7.

My Money account registers have many entries that are linked to attachments.  I created those links using the "Link to Image or Other File" option that appears in the context menu that pops up when you right click on a register entry.

Money Sunset on Windows 7 expects all my attachments to exist where they used to exist on my XP machine:  in a subfolder under C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents.  On Windows 7, the conventional location for user documents has changed to C:\Users\<user name>\Documents (which is also accessible via Windows Explorer as Computer -> Windows 7(C:) -> Users -> <user name> -> My Documents).  That's where my attachments are now located.

Is there a straightforward way to globally change where Money Sunset looks for the attachments?  I.e., change C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\Finance to C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\Finance?  I don't want to edit hundreds of register entries manually.  It also seems like a bad idea to re-create the old XP Documents and Settings folder in its now-archaic location on my Windows 7 machine.

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:50 PM

All replies

• If you really have hundreds of entries then I would be very tempted to duplicate the OLD location on the NEW system.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:55 PM
  • You could use the MKLINK command to create a symbolic link with the name of your 'old' directory name to point to the default Windows 7 documents location.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:36 AM