WHS re-install and HD-Controller drivers,BSOD and loss of re-install option. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Today I run into a whole mother-load of WHS awesome "let me make you pull your hair out or you loose a few T's of data feature".
    I had to reinstall my OS!.
    ...and what a poorly designed install this is!!! (Keeps reminding me of the original SBS)

Let me explain.
    My PC has an internal ICH9 controller that I have to load the drivers for. This controller has my main OS HD. (500Gb)
    2nd controller is a 3ware 9550 Sata with 8 non-RAIDed 1.5T drives. (this needs drivers also.)
    When the GUI install asked for drivers I provided them from my USB stick and it had NO problem loading both controllers.
    It gave me option to reinstall.
    Ohhh so short it lived.
    Once the install got to the non-GUI it blew a 7B error.
    Translation: the GUI portion of the installation never(?) copied the drivers for my cards.
    At this point the Reinstall option is gone and I am stuck.

On top of that the F6 option is Disabled in non-GUI install. (If you have a floppy with drivers in the PC it will read it regardless.) but all I got was an error reading line 18 or something like that on either driver. Problem #2 is that I need to load 2 controller drivers and this install is so crippled that it doesn't ask if you want another driver loaded.

I've searched the forums for any fixes and found some interesting stuff.
    #1 http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/2a8befa8-2548-42d2-882c-3199ecacb0ea
    #2 http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/196cb2a7-20ba-47c4-a140-b2b2a14011db/
    (no idea what Steps #5 and #6 are talking about)

I yanked my OS drive to the other PC and am Ghosting it now.

Any suggestions? Or is there an easier way getting this so called Easy OS to work right?

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:48 PM

All replies

• You're probably correct that the 7b error was due to lack of drivers for your hard drives.

When you need a driver to access your system drive during setup, you need to provide that driver twice. The first time is at the initial hardware detection screen, which you did (on USB flash drive). The second time is just after the first reboot, at the start of text mode setup when Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.... is displayed at the bottom of the screen. If you need to supply drivers in text mode, you will have to use a floppy disk; there is no USB support in text-mode setup. Consult your motherboard manual to learn how to prepare an "F6 floppy".

Presumably you needed to do this the first time you installed Windows Home Server? Or was your system drive (SATA, I assume) originally configured as Legacy IDE, then you installed AHCI drivers and switched to AHCI mode after the initial installation?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:37 PM
  • You're probably correct that the 7b error was due to lack of drivers for your hard drives.

When you need a driver to access your system drive during setup, you need to provide that driver twice. The first time is at the initial hardware detection screen, which you did (on USB flash drive). The second time is just after the first reboot, at the start of text mode setup when Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.... is displayed at the bottom of the screen. If you need to supply drivers in text mode, you will have to use a floppy disk; there is no USB support in text-mode setup. Consult your motherboard manual to learn how to prepare an "F6 floppy".

Presumably you needed to do this the first time you installed Windows Home Server? Or was your system drive (SATA, I assume) originally configured as Legacy IDE, then you installed AHCI drivers and switched to AHCI mode after the initial installation?

Ken,

I am in the process of downloading the latest CD images for the motherboard and the 3dware controller.
    Just created a new 3dware driver disk. and waiting on the 2nd download.
    When I installed the WHS the 1st time I only had 1 primary Sata HD.., and added the 3dware card after OS was up.
    Will also double check the AHCI setting is BIOS when the floppies are ready.
    I presume that USB floppy drive will work with F6....?

Thanks for your assistance!
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:52 PM
  • A USB floppy has a fair chance of working, but I make no promises. There's not a lot of USB support in Windows Server 2003 setup (which is what the text mode setup is), I'm afraid.

As for settings in the BIOS, I would actually recommend you set all your drives to "Legacy IDE" mode; there are drivers "in box" which will install automatically in that case. This will simplify installation (and reinstallation should you ever need to do so because of e.g. OS corruption) at the cost of a small amount of disk performance that you would be unlikely to see anyway, due to bottlenecks elsewhere in the system. Of course, you may not be able to do this with a third party HBA...
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Ok,

Both disks that I created aren't working :(
    The OS loads the drivers from them and then I get:

File \$OEM$\adpahci.sys could not be loaded
    or
    File \$OEM$\3wareDrv.sys could not be loaded (depending on what floppy I insert.)
    The error code is 18.
    Set up cannot continue.

I checked my BIOS.. here is what I got:

Serial ATA - Enabled
    Native Mode Operation - Serial ATA
     Sata RAID Enable - Enabled
      ICH Raid CodeBase - Adaptec

If I Disable "Sata RAID Enable" then I get a new option for SATA AHCI - Enabled or Disabled

I can add a REAL floppy drive to the server for install or pull the HD to another PC to manually add the drivers if that's possible.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Tried the trick of this post:
    http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/196cb2a7-20ba-47c4-a140-b2b2a14011db/
    (Made a Virtual install of WHS, and then images C:\ from it to the C:\ of my WHS.)
    That did make the Reinstall option available.
    Found a BUG.
    Since I have 2 Controllers, if I load the non-bootable controller drivers first the Reinstall option doesn't show. So the moral of this story is that you HAVE to load the drivers to the controller that has your Bootable (OS) drive FIRST.

Further when the reinstall was taking place I get the following error:

Copying files failed. The Media is write protected.
    (error code 0x80070013)

Cant find much on this one in WHS. :(
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:54 PM