Backup OK to External Drive, but Not Restore? RRS feed

• Question

• On one of my machines, I was able to setup backup fine to an external Maxtor USB drive.  Prior to backup being run, I decided to select Restore.

From the list presented, only DVD was listed, and I couldnt add the external drive (I may have been able to create a share to get around this, but still concerning).  Is this most likely because there was not a backup made yet on the drive (so it ignored it), or is there a problem doing a restore from an external drive? 

The backup is scheduled for tonight so I can check tomorrow if it works following that, but I'm curious if anyone knows the answer.  This is also related to my question earlier about turning backup off and using Vista's (I'd rather keep everything in OneCare, but I also want to be sure I can restore my files when I need to!)

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:16 PM

Answers

• You should be able to restore using the custom restore function, which means to restore a backup from another PC, if you hadn't already done a backup on this PC. If the drive had no backups, this wouldn't work, of course, but if any OneCare backups existed, the drive should have been offered as a valid choice.

We've seen some cases where we recommended that you run a small backup to the destination in order to see the destination for Restore and then, using the custom restore function, select the existing backup.

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

• You should be able to restore using the custom restore function, which means to restore a backup from another PC, if you hadn't already done a backup on this PC. If the drive had no backups, this wouldn't work, of course, but if any OneCare backups existed, the drive should have been offered as a valid choice.

We've seen some cases where we recommended that you run a small backup to the destination in order to see the destination for Restore and then, using the custom restore function, select the existing backup.

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:13 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

You should be able to restore using the custom restore function, which means to restore a backup from another PC, if you hadn't already done a backup on this PC. If the drive had no backups, this wouldn't work, of course, but if any OneCare backups existed, the drive should have been offered as a valid choice.

-steve

I'll see if I can do that.  I just find it odd that the "standard" restore wouldn't recognize a drive that is recognized when setting up backup...

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:21 PM
  • If OneCare on that PC had never done a backup, there would be no backup for it restore under the standard restore. I suspect that the fact that you had the CD/DVD option listed is actually an oversight, since you should not be able to use a standard restore at all if the OneCare install was new. To restore a PC after an OS restore and OneCare reinstall, you'd need to use the custom restore function.

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:47 PM
  • I think (and hope) you're right, so thanks for the information.  I'll let you know tomorrow once the backup is complete and I'll try to restore a file!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:20 PM
  • I also have a problem to restore a backup. I did a backup before Vista was reinstalled. When I try to restore the backup it asks me to put the backup in drive F (DVD drive but the backup is on an external hard drive (K). In computer the K drive is visible and all folders are there.

I tried changing the names of the drives but it still looks for the backup in the DVD drive.

I did notice that the date of the backup had automatically changed to Jan 2007 so this might be part of the problem.

The most important of the backup are my emails. Is there another way to get these out of the backup in case I cannot restore the usual way.

Many thanks.

Ward

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:51 PM
  • If you reinstalled OneCare, you will need to use the custom restore option to restore from another PC. If it doesn't see the backup to be restored, you may want to configure backup in the newly installed OneCare to backup to the same external drive, but only a minimal type of files so that the backup proceeds quickly and doesn't take much space. Then try the restore option again from another computer and point to the external drive.

If you still need help with the restore, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:58 PM