Live Mesh Long Sync Times RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 150MB file that changes slightly each day, is there any way of syncing to Live Desktop without uploading the whole 150MB file each time as it is chewing my bandwidth and time? Love the remote access!!

Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:52 AM

Answers

• The current Live Mesh Sync process does indeed require that the entire file be copied from the changed version location to the Live Desktop and/or the other devices in the Mesh. There is no "delta" sync capability, though I am quite sure that this has been requested before ad is being evaluated. You can add your voice to this request per the instructions here:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hi danoodles.,

Whem live mesh syncronizes a folder on your desktop, only the files that are new or have been changed will be syncronized. You do not need to upload the files everyday. Mesh, when it is on, will syncronize the folders automatically, if your settings are correct. On your desktop, right click the folder. you should be able to change settings from there. As far as the bandwich, are you sure that mesh is causing the increase?. It has never done that with my mesh. It shouldn't use any more bandwich than opening your ie explorer does, which is very little

Diana Microsoft Partner http://djarts-express.spaces.live.com
    • Edited by djartsinc Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:34 AM more info
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:31 AM
  • I don't think he was suggesting he was manually uploading files (can you anyway?) just that a small change to a 150MB file required a complete upload of the whole file each time. Is there a plan for Live Mesh to implement something like JungleDisk where it only actually uploads the part of the file that has changed?
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 9:56 AM
  • I wasn't suggesting that either. Mesh uploads via the servers in the background. He was suggesting that each time the files were changed that the entire folder contents were uploaded. Mesh doesn't work like that. It only uploads new or changed files within the folder. Small changes do not require complete upload. I transfer files to and from pc's on my mesh daily. Only the files that I add, take away, or changed need to be syncronized. And it doesn't require me to do anything but signin to mesh, it does the work for me.
    Diana Microsoft Partner http://djarts-express.spaces.live.com
    • Edited by djartsinc Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:43 PM more info
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:40 PM
  • That's correct Spacerace, you are on my wavelength, a small change of say 2kb to my 150mb data file requires sync of the whole 150mb. Wish it was the 2kb!!!

Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:10 PM
  • The current Live Mesh Sync process does indeed require that the entire file be copied from the changed version location to the Live Desktop and/or the other devices in the Mesh. There is no "delta" sync capability, though I am quite sure that this has been requested before ad is being evaluated. You can add your voice to this request per the instructions here:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:28 PM