LCSCmd.exe and 32bit DC RRS feed

• Question

• The OCS R2 media only contains the 64bit version of the LCSCMD tool.  Is there a 32 bit version of this available so I can run the schema prep directly on the schema master whilst it is disconnected to give us a good backout plan.

Thanks
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:37 PM

Answers

• Recycling bits... the 3 UC Amigos (http://blogs.technet.com/ucedsg/archive/2009/01/20/what-do-i-need-to-prepare-for-to-deploy-ocs-r2.aspx) have the following to say...

Do you have any 64-bit domain controllers?

If the answer is yes, you will have an easier time with OCS R2 prep work as well as with any Exchange 2007 installation.

If the answer is no, you may consider installing a 64-bit DC/GC since you can consolidate more DCs and the ratios of DC/GCs for things like Exchange improve (1 DC:8 cores of Exchange mailbox vs 1:4 with 32-bit DCs).

The OCS R2 Prep wizard only preps 64-bit Domain controllers so if you have 32-bit DCs you will need to run the command line LDIFDE tool to modify the schema from the command line.

Sample LDIFDE run on a 32-bit DC:

ldifde –i –v –k –s DC1 –f schema.ldf –c DC=X “DC=contoso,DC=com” –b Administrator password

So, I'm guessing 'no' is the answer to a 32-bit version of lcscmd.exe (guessing the RTM version with R2 files would be highly unsupported), but this shgould achieve your goal, no?

HTH, Cheers,

Tim
    • Marked as answer by Antony Barlow Friday, May 22, 2009 10:08 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:18 AM

All replies

• Recycling bits... the 3 UC Amigos (http://blogs.technet.com/ucedsg/archive/2009/01/20/what-do-i-need-to-prepare-for-to-deploy-ocs-r2.aspx) have the following to say...

Do you have any 64-bit domain controllers?

If the answer is yes, you will have an easier time with OCS R2 prep work as well as with any Exchange 2007 installation.

If the answer is no, you may consider installing a 64-bit DC/GC since you can consolidate more DCs and the ratios of DC/GCs for things like Exchange improve (1 DC:8 cores of Exchange mailbox vs 1:4 with 32-bit DCs).

The OCS R2 Prep wizard only preps 64-bit Domain controllers so if you have 32-bit DCs you will need to run the command line LDIFDE tool to modify the schema from the command line.

Sample LDIFDE run on a 32-bit DC:

ldifde –i –v –k –s DC1 –f schema.ldf –c DC=X “DC=contoso,DC=com” –b Administrator password

So, I'm guessing 'no' is the answer to a 32-bit version of lcscmd.exe (guessing the RTM version with R2 files would be highly unsupported), but this shgould achieve your goal, no?

HTH, Cheers,

Tim
    • Marked as answer by Antony Barlow Friday, May 22, 2009 10:08 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:18 AM

• A 32-bit version of LCScmd.exe does exist where you have to manually extract it from \support\i386\OCScore.msi on the R2 installation media to prepare the Active Directory Domain Services for your environment.

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks.

http://www.leedesmond.com
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:44 AM
  • Cheers managed to find the extra bits, and MS have final released the updated documentation for R2.  Would have thought it would be a good idea to release documentation at same time as software rather than several months later!

Friday, May 22, 2009 10:10 AM