Not enough free server space to complete backup RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WHS last night.  Installation ran smoothly.  I did have to download & install the NIC driver, but that ran smoothly also.  The first thing I did was to download all updates and then set up all 4 of my pcs with the connector software(2 Winxp & 2 Vista).  The automatic backup ran on one of the Vista machines and finished up this morning.  The backup completed with no problems.  Since I knew that the automatic backups on the other machines wouldn't run until 1am-6am, I tried a manual backup on the other Vista machine.  I received the message that not enough free server space to complete backup.  The server currently has 131 gigs available and the pc I want to backup is only 85 gigs.  Any advice or suggestions to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, May 4, 2009 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    which version is shown on the server console in Settings/Ressources? If the server is not fully patched (especially all versions before Power Pack 1), a lot of strange behaviors can happen. Use the update function as often, as you still get updates offered.

If all is up to date - is the complete storage shown in the console in the calculation?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 4, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Thanks Olaf for the reply.  I tried an update and it said I was current.  The version I show in settings/resources is 6.0.2030.0.
    I just tried to backup another pc(winxp) on my network and it failed also, the message was "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup".  That backup never made it paste 0%.  The other backup that failed went to 12% or so.  Not sure how to proceed.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I rebooted the Vista PC and tried again.  It worked.  Now I'll try the XP PC.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 5:59 PM
  • If the XP PC fails again, run chkdsk /f /r on it's drive (which usually takes a reboot and a lot of time.
    Other reasons, why volume snapshots can fail, are too low amount of free disk space, 3rd party applications (like Norton Ghost), which can cause hassles even after uninstall with their remains in the registry and issues with VSS or COM+ component registration on the system.
    Check the event log on that client, maybe you find some more error messages or warnings, which can point us into the proper direction.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 4, 2009 7:24 PM