WHS - move WSS 3 content database to replicated folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have WSS 3.0 installed on Windows Homw Server and am very happy with it.

I would like to move the content database off the System Disk and onto the Data Disk.

I realize WSS 3 is not supported on this platform but I wondered if anyone knew whether there would be any issues with this plan?

Can the database be replicated?  Should it be stored in a shared folder at all?

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:06 PM

Answers

• The database should not be stored in the server shares. As for moving it, A quick Google search has this on the first page.

Please note that there is no support for running Sharepoint on Windows Home Server; both the Windows Home Server and Sharepoint teams have said that this is an unsupported configuration. So you're pretty much on your own if this doesn't go well for you. You could post in the Sharepoint forums on Technet in that case...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 19, 2010 3:45 PM
  • I used a disk, which is not in the pool for storing the database.
    With a scheduled task I create a daily backup to one of the shared folders. This scheduled task consists of a simple batch file for backing up SharePoint with stsadm.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:44 PM

All replies

• The database should not be stored in the server shares. As for moving it, A quick Google search has this on the first page.

Please note that there is no support for running Sharepoint on Windows Home Server; both the Windows Home Server and Sharepoint teams have said that this is an unsupported configuration. So you're pretty much on your own if this doesn't go well for you. You could post in the Sharepoint forums on Technet in that case...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 19, 2010 3:45 PM
  • It's as I thought. 

Is I said, it's an easy install and it is working well for me.  It would have been nice to have the database in a folder that was being replicated.

I can ceratinly move it to the Data Drive so it doesn't eat up valuable system space.

Thanks for the response.

Friday, March 19, 2010 4:09 PM
  • I used a disk, which is not in the pool for storing the database.
    With a scheduled task I create a daily backup to one of the shared folders. This scheduled task consists of a simple batch file for backing up SharePoint with stsadm.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:44 PM