How does MapPoint work for collaboration, licensing and sharing? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking at building a fairly involved map and 2 to 5 people will need to use it.

Will each individual need their own copy? If so, once I've created the map in one place can I save the data & settings and load them onto other computers. Or, do they need to be configured one at a time?

Can users' data be synced?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:27 AM

All replies

• Each person or computer needs their own license of MapPoint.

You can put a PTM map file on a shared or network drive and multiple people could open the file from there, but only one person can have "read/write" access at any one time, other people would have read-only access if someone else already has the PTM map file open on their computer.

That said, you can do some fairly sophisticated stuff with programming, I have worked on apps with MapPoint with multiple developers and hundreds of users all working from a central database, and also worked on some relatively simple "syncing" tools for small workgroups, but this is custom development. 

I guess depending on your exact needs I could make some recommendations. Is it OK that only one person has read/write access to the map at a time?

Eric

http://www.mapforums.com

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:22 PM