Windows Vista Product Key error Upon Startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,  I need some real help.
    I bought my computer at Best Buy in Seattle, WA USA, in April of 2007  With it came Windows Vista Premium edition.  Today I came home from work and started up my computer, logged in, just as normal.  A strange message came up stating that the Windows Vista Product Key that was entered was wrong.   I moved to Iceland on Sept. 6th, but have had no issues like this before.  I tried entering the product key that is on a sticker on the bottom of my computer, but the error message came up once again.  I'm sure this is just a glitch,but I'm not sure how to resolve this.  Plesa help me.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:03 PM

Answers

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:54 PM

All replies

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:54 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply.  I can't even get into Microsoft Windows, so I am not able to click the Start Button.  What do I do then?  I am in Iceland so I cannot call any 1-800 numbers.  They don't work from here, I've tried a few times.  I will have to resolve this by email.
    Olgeir
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:05 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem with windows vista home premium. I logged in last night and a window popped up saying that I can use vista with limited functionality, enter or purchase a new product key, or contact dell for solutions. I chose the second option and entered in the product key that's on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop, hit enter and said it was an invalid key. I then contacted dell and they weren't much help at all and then they referred me to microsoft and didn't help me either. I really don't know what to do to get this problem resolved. If you figure anything out or get some help and are able to get access to Vista, please let me know.

thanks!
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Please see my reply to the first post in the thread. We both need help resolving the same issue with Vista. I don't really have any other option for getting help with this problem.

Please help.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:38 PM
  • So I got the problem resolved a while ago, I can´t remember exactly what I did.  I think I contacted Microsoft, I know it was over the phone.  Just click on the option to get a phone number for someone at Microsoft.  Then I got a nother special product key that was like 20 numbers and letters.  I hope this is some help, like I said it was a while ago and I forgot exactly.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:46 PM

• Thanks! I will call them again and see if I can get another product key. Did they ever tell you why your computer did this?

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:24 AM
  • No, I was so excited that I got it working that I forgot to ask them.  I think someone tried to hack in and steal my product key or something.  They asked me a few questions like, how many computers are using your product key, and whether my vista program was preloaded on my computer when I bought it.  I know that I talked to someone from Microsoft to solve the problem, I tried calling HP and they didn´t have a clue.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 9:14 AM