MS CRM 2015 Entitlements and Contracts RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I want to get clear conceptually about the contracts and entitlements in CRM 2015

Is contracts and entitlements are alternatives to manage customer service contracts? I am aware about the difference between both.

If so, In entitlements, there is no billing details. Then how can we manage customer service contracts just using entitlements.

OR we can use both contracts and entitlements to create customer service contracts.

Thanks

Meenxi

Friday, September 4, 2015 8:24 AM

Answers

• To track revenue then I'd create an Order for each service package sold. If you need to show the Order on the Entitlement then you could create a 1:n relationship between Order and Entitlement.

You can track ad-hoc support by creating cases without using contracts or entitlements.  But you would have to create an order when the case is resolved.

• Marked as answer by meenxi Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:26 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:03 PM
  • I think it all depends on what level of billing information you need to store.

Contracts and Entitlements are both for tracking entitlement to service rather managing billing. I think Entitlements replace contracts and the newer features of Service have been added to Entitlements and not contracts. I think you should use entitlements and not contracts. I really don't think you should use both.

Yes, contracts can be invoiced but all that does is change the status of the contract, it does not create an order, invoice or bill.

An yes, contracts have a bill to field but that is just a lookup to an account record.

What you should do in terms of customization depends on what you need to store or manage in CRM. I'm not advising that you should do anything specific but instead pointing out the differences between contracts and entitlements and that you might need to customize entitlements to manage billing.  I don't know what you mean by "manage customer service contracts" - that could be something simple or quite complicated. I suspect that you if investigate contracts you'll find that they might not do what you need.

• Proposed as answer by meenxip Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:27 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 10:08 PM

All replies

• Contracts appeared in Service when CRM was first released. Although they can stored billing details they are not linked to the Order part of CRM.

Entitlements appeared in more recent versions of CRM and I think replace contracts. All the new features such as SLAs are linked to entitlements. You should use entitlements. You can add billing info with some customization depending on your needs.

Friday, September 4, 2015 1:28 PM
  • Thanks for the Reply.

so according to you In Entitlement I should create custom fields relating to billing. That's possible. But what if I want to maintain the similar details like originating contract in Entitlement? That level customization will be quite lengthy.

Should I use both Contracts and entitlement? If yes will it be logically true?

e.g. on creation of contract, auto creation of entitlement with needed information is created. (Contract creation since I need billing information and originating contract details)

Thanks for the support.

• Edited by meenxi Monday, September 7, 2015 7:35 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 6:53 AM
  • I think it all depends on what level of billing information you need to store.

Contracts and Entitlements are both for tracking entitlement to service rather managing billing. I think Entitlements replace contracts and the newer features of Service have been added to Entitlements and not contracts. I think you should use entitlements and not contracts. I really don't think you should use both.

Yes, contracts can be invoiced but all that does is change the status of the contract, it does not create an order, invoice or bill.

An yes, contracts have a bill to field but that is just a lookup to an account record.

What you should do in terms of customization depends on what you need to store or manage in CRM. I'm not advising that you should do anything specific but instead pointing out the differences between contracts and entitlements and that you might need to customize entitlements to manage billing.  I don't know what you mean by "manage customer service contracts" - that could be something simple or quite complicated. I suspect that you if investigate contracts you'll find that they might not do what you need.

• Proposed as answer by meenxip Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:27 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 10:08 PM
  • Thank you very much for the guidance.

By the term "Manage Customer Service" I mean I want to manage the service packages the company offers to customers, allow support customers ad-hoc based that is without any service contracts. Know which service package gets what revenue to the company. Case subject wise different entitlements.

These are the broad level requirements.

Once again Thanks for the support .

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:27 AM
  • To track revenue then I'd create an Order for each service package sold. If you need to show the Order on the Entitlement then you could create a 1:n relationship between Order and Entitlement.

You can track ad-hoc support by creating cases without using contracts or entitlements.  But you would have to create an order when the case is resolved.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:03 PM