Files in Shared Folders vs in Client Computer Backup RRS feed

• Question

• First time user of WHS. Basic questions:

If I back up my client computer onto the server, can I access files on the back up drive the same way as files on the client computer (meaning I see the same folder structure and files as I see [in the Windows explorer] when I browse the client PC)or the files are in special compressed format and can only be used to restore the client computer?

If I already have some of the files (photos, videos, music) on my client computer copied to the shared folders, when the client computer is backed up, are these files duplicated in the backup drive or WHS is smart enough with its one instance backup feature and doesn't waste duplication space?

Thanks.

Friday, April 15, 2011 8:28 AM

Answers

• If you want to access files contained inside one of the daily client backups, you have to open the console from one of the client PC's. Once inside the console select the computers and backups tab, select the computer from that tab, and select view backups at which points you will see a list of all backups available.  Select one of the daily backups and click OPEN.  What happens next is that WHS will unpack that data to a temporary location, and create a network share and map a drive letter to that data.  IE once it's done uncompressing it will create a Drive Z that you can open in explorer on your client PC.

You can see a step by step of this process here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/restore.mspx

If you backup your PC those files are seperate from the servers shared folder.  So yes there will be multiple copies of the same file between the client backup and your server shares...

• Marked as answer by h8226gw Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:41 PM