none
Sys partion is 2.1 terabytes. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• I finally got my raid to work and everything working goo so far, but I got my drives back reinstalled and now I am back to what happened last time.  My sys (c:/) is 2.1 terabytes.  I only have a few addins and very few programs installed. but the sys is taking alot of storage space I was hoping to use for storage.  Before I start restoring data to the shared folders, is there something I can do to make the sys smaller? I mean I know I have alot of room, but out of 10 terabyes of room, I am only having 7.2 gig's of storage and if I duplicate files that is going to be gone quick..  Any help would be great..  Thanks...  
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:57 AM

Answers

• The system file as C:/ is what is so big and the duplication is on another part from what I can tell..  The c drive is stateing it is 2.1 terabytes and the files inside are only 12 gig's.  My os is on a 250 gig drive which I don't know how the c drive can be so big..  I even installed another drive for backing up the drive under add on system.

just to clarify this - I think you mixed something up here. System part in the WHS console storage chart is no longer limited to the C: drive, which is always 20 GByte (unless you intercepted manually), but contains all, which is not stored in WHS managed folders.
    The D: drive (if you mean this and not system drive or system chart, but system disk) may show much more space than in reality is on it in Windows Explorer locally (which is a behavior caused by a fix for Windows Vista checking free space on a share before starting to copy, so that the shown free space on D: now represents the total free space on all disks in the storage pool). Since logging in locally is not supported, you normally would not come in contact with that more or less cosmetic issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Melocco Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:43 PM

All replies

• I finally got my raid to work and everything working goo so far, but I got my drives back reinstalled and now I am back to what happened last time.  My sys (c:/) is 2.1 terabytes.  I only have a few addins and very few programs installed. but the sys is taking alot of storage space I was hoping to use for storage.  Before I start restoring data to the shared folders, is there something I can do to make the sys smaller? I mean I know I have alot of room, but out of 10 terabyes of room, I am only having 7.2 gig's of storage and if I duplicate files that is going to be gone quick..  Any help would be great..  Thanks...  
    You really should break your RAID array, reinstall the OS and let WHS function as it's designed.  RAID is not supported and can cause problems with re-installations (as you're now finding out).

There are tools to shrink partitions, but using them is unsupported and, unless you have everything backed up, not something I would even consider (on this or any other OS for that matter).
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:04 AM
  • I have already lost 20% of my data cause my primary drive was dieing and my WHS DVD doesn't have a reinstall option, only new install...  which is why I am running a raid so if the drive dies, I can just rebuild the raid and it will continue to work..   My raid is running fine now.  I have taken out the primary and restarted and my card stated there was a problem and I just continued and it started up just like I left it..  I wiped my new drive and reinstalled it and rebuilt the raid in dos and it strated right back up..  My sys was 2.1 terabytes when I was running the os on 1 drive before it died..  

How can I back it up if it's not supported?  I think I might just do another reinstall and run linux..  Micro$oft seems to not want to help people..  Just make something for you to spend money on and when it messes up spend more money on it..  The other option is to install Windows 7 pro and let it run as a server..   
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:12 AM
  • I have already lost 20% of my data cause my primary drive was dieing and my WHS DVD doesn't have a reinstall option, only new install...

You only get Server Reinstallation when A) all of your drives are visible on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen (which means you need to supply the drivers yorurself if you don't see all of them or switch your SATA drives to IDE/Legacy mode) and B) your primary drive is the first drive seen by WHS (which usually means it needs to be plugged into the first port on the motherboard).

which is why I am running a raid so if the drive dies, I can just rebuild the raid and it will continue to work..   My raid is running fine now.  I have taken out the primary and restarted and my card stated there was a problem and I just continued and it started up just like I left it..  I wiped my new drive and reinstalled it and rebuilt the raid in dos and it strated right back up..  My sys was 2.1 terabytes when I was running the os on 1 drive before it died..  

How can I back it up if it's not supported?

Let me rephrase:  I meant have all of your data backed up (not the OS).

I think I might just do another reinstall and run linux..  Micro$oft seems to not want to help people..  Just make something for you to spend money on and when it messes up spend more money on it..  The other option is to install Windows 7 pro and let it run as a server..   

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:00 AM
  • So basicly What you are stating is I just need to back up 7 terabytes of information just so I can be backuped up..   As far as the reinstall, I just hooked up a new drive to replace the main one (hooked up to the same sata port on my mobo) and I tried to do the reinstall..  I don't have a retail or OEM version.. I am running a Action pack verion..  It's the one that the guy sold me when he built the system for me. He moved not long after he built it for me..  I wish I could get in touch with him..  But since I couldn't use the reinstall I thought "I need to have some type of backup since I couldn't save my data."  I had to borrow every bodys drives to back up and I have 11 drives with data on them just sitting here that I have to move back but I want to try to get the 2.1 terabytes of storage down if I can..  I don't understand why it is using that much room..  Can some one tell me why it keeps taken that much room for the sys when the sys is only 12 gig's?  I highlighted all the files in c and right clicked to see how much room the files are. It states 12 gig's but in the console it says 2.1 terabytes..  I don't understand..  I guess I am going to have to have a backup of my backup to backup my server so that I can backup my other computers..  I am so confussed..  Should I just buy a drobo and buy 4 2 terabyte drives and just use it and WHS? Does anyone know if Windows is going to fix it so that average people can save important data and have little down time by imaging like windows 7 does or allowing raid to run so if the drive dies (as they do die in real life) it will not have any down time?  I am running a raid now cause of that and so far it does work..  Thanks for every ones help... 
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:22 AM
  •  Does anyone know if Windows is going to fix it so that average people can save important data and have little down time by imaging like windows 7 does or allowing raid to run so if the drive dies (as they do die in real life) it will not have any down time?  I am running a raid now cause of that and so far it does work.. 

If the raid was working, I don't think you would be asking for help.  I don't know exactly what type of raid you're using, so it is difficult to give advice.  As stated, raid is not supported in WHS.  I do however use it for my set-up on the system drive, but, use duplication for the storage pool.  It works for me, but, I would not recommend raid with WHS unless you spend the money for a quality card that supports windows 2003.  Doesn't answer your questions, but, I would seriously rethink your set-up and not install it with raid.  Based on what I know, the only thing it will cost you is time doing a reinstall to recover if your system drive goes bad and assuming you use duplication you will not loss data from the storage pool.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:42 AM
  • I didn't have it on a raid before..   The guy built the system for me and put WHS on a refurb 500 gig..  I didn't know until the drive started clicking..  The 500 gig was on the mother board with out raid just stright installed..   I hooked up a new drive in that spot and it didn't let me do a reinstall..  After that I bought a raid card that does support server 2003, I have the drivers and an external floppy which I used to do the main install..   

I am not asking for help with the install..  I am asking about the 2.1 terabytes of system room out of the 10 terabytes of total storage that I have...  The new drives (raid mirroring) are 250 gig's which is 232 gig of usable space which is what the os was installed on and now I have 12gig's of files used by the os, but the console states that 2.1 terabytes are used for the Sys (c:)

The raid is running fine and does work.. I don't know why it is not supported and everyone keeps telling me not to use it..  But I am just trying to fix this storage problem with the os.

The 2.1 terabytes of used space happened after I set up the other drives.. I installed the os on the 250 gig's and c was 10 gig's..  I turned the computer off and hooked the drives and turned the computre back on and added the drives like normal..  Before adding the drives, c was 10 gigs still..  Once I added the drives to the spool, C went to 2.1 terabytes..   That is what I am trying to fix..  Any thoughts other then take out the working raid? lol 
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:50 AM
  • "System" is actually a catchall in the space usage pie chart. It's all used disk space, on any drive that Windows Home Server uses, that's not covered by one of the other wedges. It could include things like the duplication of the backup database, or files stored outside your shares, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Quote:  "I am running a Action pack verion..  It's the one that the guy sold me when he built the system for me."

"Microsoft Action Pack Subscription (MAPS) provides Registered Members of the Microsoft Partner Network with internal-use, full-version software, online technical support and sales resources to help you meet your sales goals, stay competitive, and grow your business."

You are most likely running a "non-genuine" WHS as Microsoft Action Pack versions are for Registered Microsoft Partners internal use and are not for resale.  I would gather as much information about the person who sold you the Action Pack version.  Then I would go to http://ww w.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx
    for reporting and further assistance.
    --

"Melocco" <=?utf-8?B?TWVsb2Njbw==?=> wrote in message news:e6c099de-eee6-44a c-bb2b-685c81013b08...
    So basicly What you are stating is I just need to back up 7 terabytes of information just so I can be backuped up..   As far as the reinstall, I just hooked up a new drive to replace the main one (hooked up to the same sata port on my mobo) and I tried to do the reinstall..  I don't have a retail or OEM version.. I am running a Action pack verion..  It's the one that the guy sold me when he built the system for me. He moved not long after he built it for me..  I wish I could get in touch with him..  But since I couldn't use the reinstall I thought "I need to have some type of backup since I couldn't save my data."  I had to borrow every bodys drives to back up and I have 11 drives with data on them just sitting here that I have to move back but I want to try to get the 2.1 terabytes of storage down if I can..  I don't understand why it is using that much room..  Can some one tell me why it keeps taken that much room for the sys when the sys is only 12 gig's?  I highlighted all the files in c and right clicked to see how much room the files are. It states 12 gig's but in the console it says 2.1 terabytes..  I don't understand..  I guess I am going to have to have a backup of my backup to backup my server so that I can backup my other computers..  I am so confussed..  Should I just buy a drobo and buy 4 2 terabyte drives and just use it and WHS? Does anyone know if Windows is going to fix it so that average people can save important data and have little down time by imaging like windows 7 does or allowing raid to run so if the drive dies (as they do die in real life) it will not have any down time?  I am running a raid now cause of that and so far it does work..  Thanks for every ones help... 

BullDawg
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:29 AM
  • So basicly What you are stating is I just need to back up 7 terabytes of information just so I can be backuped up

a single point of failure is never ideal. If the data is important for you, you always should have a more or less current backup, independent from the amount of data. Because even with RAID (or duplication) events may happen, which make your entire server fail or data disappear (overvoltage, fire, water, theft, user failure, malware) - in this case only backups on media, which is not permanently attached and maybe stored outside of your home would be the insurance, that it is not lost.

Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Here is the card I bought.  look at the specs and it states Home server

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132009&cm_re=windows_home_server-_-16-132-009-_-Product

Mmm.  A $20 raid card will do nothing but cause the problems you are seeing.  Unless you are able to spend $300 plus for a 3ware or LSI quality raid card, don't bother.  Olaf's point on backing-up your WHS data is very valid.  If you want to protect your data, you need to budget for the redundancy.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:34 AM
  • Thanks for all the answers...   Here is a run down on what everyone said and what is happening.. 

The system file as C:/ is what is so big and the duplication is on another part from what I can tell..  The c drive is stateing it is 2.1 terabytes and the files inside are only 12 gig's.  My os is on a 250 gig drive which I don't know how the c drive can be so big..  I even installed another drive for backing up the drive under add on system.

The man that sold me the action pack has moved off..  I called Micro$oft and they stated that only thing Ii could do is buy a legal copy. I told them about the person and gave them the number for them to trace it but they acted like they didn't care..

The raid control is working..  I DON'T have problems with the RAID...   After installing the WHS OS on to the raid setup, it was installed just fine and run just fine..  I removed the primary drive off the raid and it still ran good..   I formated the drive I removed (that had the OS on it) and reinstalled it to the raid and rebuilt the raid..  The computer went right back to where I left off..   No hickups or anything...  I removed the drive I just put back in after rebuilding the raid and looked at it on another computer..  The OS was back on the drive and it seen all the files..  I reinstalled it and it still runs fine..  $20 or not, it does work..  My problem has NOTHING to do with my raid..  But since I can't get the help I need other then Ken telling me what he thinks the problem might be and everyone else telling me just to forget the raid and do another install on the largest drive I have and wait for it to fail.

I am just going to take WHS off and run Umbuntu Server..  I don't think it will have nearly the trouble this has caused and I CAN run raid on it with no trouble so if a drive does die, I will have to do nothing but remove the drive and install a replacement and turn it back on and it will work just fine..  I like the setup of WHS, but since Micro$oft wants me to buy a legal copy and everyone keeps telling me that I am going to have or are having trouble with raid, plus I can't find anyone that works on WHS but will sell me the software, I'm just stuck..   I do want to thank Ken though..  He atleast tryed to help let me know kind of what is going on.  My next indever will be trying to migrate all 8 of my PC's to Umbuntu after I get this server mess cleaned up, hopefully for the last time..   Thanks again..
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:44 AM
  • The system file as C:/ is what is so big and the duplication is on another part from what I can tell..  The c drive is stateing it is 2.1 terabytes and the files inside are only 12 gig's.  My os is on a 250 gig drive which I don't know how the c drive can be so big..  I even installed another drive for backing up the drive under add on system.

just to clarify this - I think you mixed something up here. System part in the WHS console storage chart is no longer limited to the C: drive, which is always 20 GByte (unless you intercepted manually), but contains all, which is not stored in WHS managed folders.
    The D: drive (if you mean this and not system drive or system chart, but system disk) may show much more space than in reality is on it in Windows Explorer locally (which is a behavior caused by a fix for Windows Vista checking free space on a share before starting to copy, so that the shown free space on D: now represents the total free space on all disks in the storage pool). Since logging in locally is not supported, you normally would not come in contact with that more or less cosmetic issue.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Melocco Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Thank you..  You also have helped answer the question, but I am looking at the console. in the grey part labeled Sys and also if I right click on C and click properties, it shows 2.1 terabytes. the os is installed on the 250 gig. in disk management it shows 250 gig full and part of my 1.5 terabyte dive shows full but nothing is on it..   I've not changed anything.. It happened last time before my drive died. It happened just over night..  I went to bed and it was normal like always and I woke up and half the room was gone off the drive. the sys drive had 2.2 gig..   Then I put the new drives in and once I installed the os, it showed 20 gig for the sys. That was only on the 250 gig's in raid.  I installed the other drives. They had to format the drives and I added them to storage and once I added them all, I installed Disk Management and admin for the console and restarted the computer..  Once it booted up it showed 2.1 terabytes for the sys and the c drive was 2.1 terabytes.  Nothing was installed but those to two programs. I haven't added any data yet ether.. 

But I don't know what it going to happen..  I have downloaded Umbuntu server (free by the way) and installed it in a virtual setup to test the controls and I'm going to install it on the server so I will not have these problems any more..  It was really good while it lasted..  If Micro$oft desides to put some sort of backup for the backup's I might buy the software again and use it..  The interface for it works good. I really like that it backs up your os for you but since it can't do a backup like windows 7 can for itself I can't see continuing to use it since I have already lost so much..  I was able to get so much back from Carbonite (thank god).  But I don't know if I can do that again..  I can only hope..

But again, thank you so much for everything..
    • Edited by Melocco Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:48 PM fix a small error
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:45 PM