none
W7 64-bit loses automatic sleep function

Question

• Once again I may be the only one with THIS issue but... when I install the WHS 2011 Connector software on a W7 64-bit system it refuses to go back to sleep automatically at the preset interval.  As soon as I uninstall the Connector software the system will go back to sleep after the specified elapsed time.  I have two W7 64-bit systems and have exactly the same problem on both of them.  Any ideas on what I must be doing wrong.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:13 PM

All replies

• Ken

I have seen the same problem on one of my laptops but only when testing the RC software. I never actually found out what the problem was but it just went away! It may have been a Windows Update that fixed it but I can't be sure. Thankfully I have not seen it since WHS2011 was released.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 5:21 PM
  • I had just the opposite situation.  The sleep function seemed to work for several weeks after I installed WHS 2011's Connector software and then something changed on 2 systems that caused the sleep function to "go away".  Like I said in this and the other thread I have UNINSTALLED the WHS 2011 Connector software and like magic the sleep function works properly and Perfect Disk 11 is back to it's normal self (no random looping).  Right now I am running WHS 2011 and treating it like it was just a W7 based server - that is where I was before I got the WHS bug again.  Something ain't right in the Connector stuff! 
    Monday, August 22, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Hi Ken,

I have found the following command very helpful when trying to troubleshoot issues when the computer will not go back to sleep automatically:

powercfg -requests

You must run this from a command prompt as an Administrator (Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator).

The results of this command will give you some additional information to Google on how to get your computer sleeping normally again.

Good luck!

-TB

Monday, August 22, 2011 1:23 PM
  • I'm back to the no sleep problem and I'm not sure WHS 2011 has anything to do with it since I do not have the Connector Software installed - I am just using WHS 2011 as a central file server.  I ran powercfg -requests a couple of times when the system would not go to sleep automatically after the set period of inactivity and here is what I get.  Help is needed on trying to figure out who is doing what to whom!  I seem to have this issue on only one machine on my home network?!

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:28 PM