Port Forwarding Brings Up Router Login RRS feed

• Question

• My old BEFSR41 Linksys died and I am having a problem getting another router to work correctly.  I want to connect to WHS from the Internet. 

I have tried both a USR (model USR5461) and a Linksys (VOIP model RT41P2-AT)).  Both have settings to forward ports and I believe I have configured each correctly.  When  I try to connect to WHS over the Internet I can only see the router's login screen. 

Since this is happening with multiple routers there must be a generic answer somewhere.  Something easy I am missing (I hope). 

Thanks,

Walter

Friday, July 20, 2007 1:55 AM

Answers

• Most routers have the ability to be managed remotely over a WAN link. This exposes the router's administrative website externally on port 80 (and occasionally also 443), and really isn't a good idea for broadband routers.

You'll have to turn this off in order to have port forwarding work for port 80. It's usually called something like Remote Administration in your router's admin interface.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:02 AM
  • It looks from that like you're trying to connect to the WHS Remote Access web site from inside your network. Some routers have problems with looping back to the WAN interface from inside the LAN, so that could be a problem. Have you tried this from your neighbor's house, or anywhere outside your home network?

One other thing that jumps out at me: if I understand you correctly, you have a home network with multiple subnets. That isn't an environment that WHS was designed to work in. You'll have problems if a client PC is in one subnet, but WHS is in another. But that's a different issue.

Friday, July 20, 2007 11:41 AM

All replies

• I am getting the same thing on a Belkin 54g wireless router, using http on port 80, but https on port 443 reports page not found. 

WHS Console / Settings / Remote Access / Details reports that everything is working correctly.

Friday, July 20, 2007 2:36 AM
  • Most routers have the ability to be managed remotely over a WAN link. This exposes the router's administrative website externally on port 80 (and occasionally also 443), and really isn't a good idea for broadband routers.

You'll have to turn this off in order to have port forwarding work for port 80. It's usually called something like Remote Administration in your router's admin interface.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:02 AM
  • I don't think this is the answer.  Remote Administration IS disabled.

One of these servers must realize that that location is internal, as tracert shows:

Tracing route to bnborg.livenode.com over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.10

2     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms  bnborg.livenode.com

Tracing route to 192.168.2.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.10

2     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms  192.168.2.1

192.168.2.1 is the internal address of the broadband router.  192.168.0.10 is an interal router.

Friday, July 20, 2007 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

I think what Ken suggest is that you change the remote admin of your router to another port than "80", example to access the router after you change to let say 8080, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 to access it.

Regarding the the ip 192.168.x.x is local and can not be route from the wan.

My best.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 5:57 AM
  • It looks from that like you're trying to connect to the WHS Remote Access web site from inside your network. Some routers have problems with looping back to the WAN interface from inside the LAN, so that could be a problem. Have you tried this from your neighbor's house, or anywhere outside your home network?

One other thing that jumps out at me: if I understand you correctly, you have a home network with multiple subnets. That isn't an environment that WHS was designed to work in. You'll have problems if a client PC is in one subnet, but WHS is in another. But that's a different issue.

Friday, July 20, 2007 11:41 AM
  • Someone else came in with a similar problem so I am repeating my original post here,

My old BEFSR41 Linksys died and I am having a problem getting another router to work correctly.  I want to connect to WHS from the Internet. 

I have tried both a USR (model USR5461) and a Linksys (VOIP model RT41P2-AT)).  Both have settings to forward ports and I believe I have configured each correctly.  When  I try to connect to WHS over the Internet I can only see the router's login screen. 

I have tried to make sure that I do not have multiple subnets.  Only WHS and a network printer have assigned IPs.  Everything else including the second router get an IP from the first router. 

I have not checked from outside my house so I do not know what is happening in that situation.  I will try that over the weekend.

To make a bad situation worse I have to give an acknowledgement to US Robotics Support.  Their name in itself is an oxymoron. The first time I contacted them they responded with an answer that indicated they did not read my question.  They then gave different instruction.  I tired them and they did not work.  I reponded with the message "This did not work."  Then send the same identical instruction back again.  I will forever avoid USR products. 

I think what I am going to do is buy a new router that is on the approved list and a switch to connect to it.  That way I do not have to worry about IP, subnets, DNS, port forwarding, etc.  I am worn out of trying to figure all this out when it really should be simple

Thanks for everyone's help!

Walter

Saturday, July 21, 2007 3:31 PM
  • Actually, the answer was given up above. It is that the router does not do port forwarding on traffic in your local LAN.

I ran into the same problem this weekend. I was able to get to my WHS web home page, but not connect to the WHS console. So, I updated the router firmware to the latest version (a discontinued Motorola router) and then I couldn't get to the WHS web home page.

Called up my son, and had him access the system -- no problem.

Bottom line is even when you use livenode web address, the name gets turned into your own router's IP address, and the router then sees your access as being on your LAN and does not do port forwarding.

Thus, even if you turn off remote admin on the router, its still going to fail to bring up the web page via port forwarding inside your own home LAN.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 7:31 PM
  •  

Yep I had the same problem as Walter Wood,  When I try to connect to WHS over the Internet from inside my network,  I would only see the router's setup page, but out side using the neighbor's network it would work and then I could logon to "Windows Home Server Web Site Remote Access".

Ken Warren thank you for your help. 

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:30 AM