Not enough space error - possible solution RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to solve an error situation where I can't backup a workstation because there isn't enough space.  I thought the problem was that I had 4TB of backup space and the backup system errored with a different message than the real problem.  However after splitting the 4TB into three volumes the "out of space" error mesage still appeared.  I decided to try cutting back on the amount of things backed up on the workstation and when I limited it to the "c drive" the backup worked. 

I think the system is calculating the total amount of disk space when it arrives at the error, rather than the amount of data to be backed up.  I'm not sure if anyone from the WHS 2011 team views this forum, however it would be nice to see if this solves a problem that seems to have cropped up for a lot of users.  Clearly the backup system should only be concerned with the amount of data needed to be backed up.

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:23 AM

Answers

• pgt

As WHS2011 does not automatically manage your data locations, you have to do it manually. In the Dashboard, go to the "Server Folders and Hard Drives" tab and select "Server Folders". Click on "Client Computer Backups" and in the right hand pane "Move The Folder" and follow the instructions to move it to one of your large partitions. Shared drives and client backups are automatically created on the first disk (with the OS) as D: - it is then your responsibility to tell it where to store the data should you subsequently add more storage.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by pgt32450 Friday, July 1, 2011 5:06 PM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:41 AM

All replies

• Could you please submit a bug or product suggestion about this on Connect?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:43 AM
  • I will submit it as a bug.  However a bigger issue that I have found is that the backup wants to go to the D drive which was defined by the WHS 2011 install.  In my case I used a 225GB drive for the OS so had about 165 GB left for the D drive.  Once the D drive is filled up - backups abort.  I cannot get them to go to my terrabyte drives.  Does anyone know a way around this?  And why does the installation instructions for WHS 2011 tell us to use a small drive to install the O/S on.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:02 PM
  • You can move the backup database folder, just like any other.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:38 PM
  • pgt

As WHS2011 does not automatically manage your data locations, you have to do it manually. In the Dashboard, go to the "Server Folders and Hard Drives" tab and select "Server Folders". Click on "Client Computer Backups" and in the right hand pane "Move The Folder" and follow the instructions to move it to one of your large partitions. Shared drives and client backups are automatically created on the first disk (with the OS) as D: - it is then your responsibility to tell it where to store the data should you subsequently add more storage.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by pgt32450 Friday, July 1, 2011 5:06 PM
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Can I move it to the Server Backup Folder?  Or, must it be a different folder.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Not sure I understand the question. We are talking about moving the "Client Computer Backups" folder from one hard drive to another.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:19 PM
  • I have the same or similar issue. I have a folder with pictures on it totalling about 100 gb and a backup drive that will hold 300 gb and has about 175gb of free space yet the server keeps showing an error that I don't have enough space.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Try having it not backup the system reserved partition, that's what was causing mine to fail.  I am not 100% sure what happens when you try to restore one of these backups though, as that partition is a require component.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:03 PM