New to Live Mesh: Live Desktop could not connect. RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to using Live Mesh. One of my colleagues at Microsoft shared a folder with me to access. When I selected the link from his e-mail, it takes me directly into Live Mesh (after login), but I get the following message:

"Live Desktop could not connect. Please try refreshing the page."

Is the issue that I need to install Windows Live?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:57 PM

Answers

• This is the feedback post:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=497778

I will try to update the post with the details that we've brought up in this thread.

Thank you for your help Stephen.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:53 PM

All replies

• You should be able to connect from any PC using yoru web browser to connect to the Live Desktop once you have a  LiveID associated with Live Mesh. There have been some reports of problems accessing the Live Desktop, but I'm not sure if there is currently a problem being worked on or not.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I have a Live ID, which allowed me to login to Live Mesh, but I am still getting the error above. Is there something I need to do to associate my Live ID to Live Mesh, or does a log in accomplish that?
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:12 PM
  • If you logged into Live Mesh, then you should be able to proceed. However, based on some reports over the past days, I believe that there may still be residual issues from the weekend.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

I just stumbled upon this entry as I search google (sorry, bing).

I've had this problem with live mesh since I started. (This is not a shared folder but my own)

I think it has to do with me deleting a folder on the live desktop without it being deleted on the clients. !?!?

However.
    I have three computers syncing with Live mesh and files are syncing as expected
    but no matter how many times I re-install the live mesh client i can not get the desktop working.

Where can I file this report? if someone would like to have a look at this error my mailadress is
    gregerATelgregoDOTorg

Regards
    Greger
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:29 PM
  • You can submit a bug report per the instructions here - be sure to provide all of the details:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you probably won't get a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

Getting to the Live Desktop in the web browser does not require the client software to be installed. What browser are you using?
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Update: here's the kicker. My wifes live desktop runs perfectly... My take is that my mesh is in a inconsisten state.

Hi,

No it would not require the client i realise that.

I have tried using firefox 3.0, 3.5, ie 6,7,8
    still havent tried opera, safari or lynx.

Im thinking about deleting the account and starting a new one but
    I am a bit of a microsoft fan boy and I would rather have it that this
    bug where fixed and that live mesh would succed.

I am syncing three devices, two windows 7 rtm and one xp sp3.

Regards
    Greger
    • Edited by elgrego_old Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:40 PM
  • You don't need to delete the account, just make a new one and see if it works.
    And do file the bug report since a few people have reported the same problem in recent weeks - inability to login to the Live Desktop.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Thanks!

So Its possible to create a new account with the same login? How would I do that?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:06 PM
  • No, I meant that you can sign up for Live Mesh with another LiveID and then sign in with that LiveID. If it works, that would indicate a problem with the account and not the PCs. You can then add to your bug report or go ahead and remove the devices from the original Mesh and set up the Mesh with the new LiveID - so, yes, ultimately "closing" the one account.
    -steve
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:33 AM
  • By the way, what is the format of the liveID you are currently using? Is it an @live, @hotmail, or @msn ID? If so is it in te standard format of name at live.com or firstname.lastname at live.com?
    Or is it a LiveID based on another email address? If so, format? name at domain or name at subdomain.somain.com or first.last at domain.com, etc?
    You email will be stripped out if you post it, so you need to enter it like I did above. I don't need the actual LiveID, just the format.
    -steve
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

I wrote in an earlier post that my wife is able to view the live desktops from the same machines Im not.

Something i did not mention was that, just when the account was started I was able to view the desktop
    but I somehow deleted a folder (or whatnot, i cant remember).

My mailaddress is on my own domain EMAIL REMOVED

cheers!
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:29 AM
  • Ah, I see the email address a few posts back. Note that your address was removed in the latest post. Is your wife using a different LiveID? Is her LiveID on the same domain as yours?
    -steve
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Yes, she is using a different live id.
    Yes, it is on the same domain

-Greger
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Did you file that bug report? If so, can you provide a link back here? Thanks for confirming the LiveID difference. To me, that says it is an account problem.
    One last guess - what if you change the password on your LiveID? Choose a shorter one - perhaps under 8 characters, and not terribly complex and then give it another shot.
    -steve
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:34 PM
  • This is the feedback post:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=497778

I will try to update the post with the details that we've brought up in this thread.

Thank you for your help Stephen.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Thanks! I've send an email to my Live Mesh contact with the links to this thread and a few other similar ones where people have reported odd issues with accessing the Live Desktop.
    -steve
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Do you know if anyone alive at Microsoft is locking into this?

I am available if they would like to look into the problem...

Regards
    Greger
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:14 PM
  • I have no update, Greger. If the Live Mesh team needs additional information from you, they will update your bug report.
    -steve
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:48 PM