Help!! WHS reinstallation went wrong! RRS feed

• Question

• Well I am getting constant freezes so I thought I would reinstall WHS. The first attempt took a while but then I managed to get to the stage where it said it was formatting my main drive. It got stuck there for almost an hour without any progress so I hard reset the machine. After that I found out I only have an option for new installation!

I have precious photos stored on the server and also some important files which I foolishly didn't backup anywhere else...

Can anyone please tell me what to do next?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:42 AM

All replies

• Just to update I tried connecting one of the WHS HDDs to my other PC to try copy what ever I can but I get a Permission Error. Seems that I don't have permission to view/copy the files :(

Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Well I am getting constant freezes so I thought I would reinstall WHS. The first attempt took a while but then I managed to get to the stage where it said it was formatting my main drive. It got stuck there for almost an hour without any progress so I hard reset the machine. After that I found out I only have an option for new installation!

It was probably rebuilding the tombstones.  It appars to be stuck, but it's not.

I have precious photos stored on the server and also some important files which I foolishly didn't backup anywhere else...

You could try formatting (or deleting with diskpart) the 20 GB OS partition, then see if you get Server Reinstallation as an option again.  The other option would be to recover the data manually by following the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure for details.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Just to update I tried connecting one of the WHS HDDs to my other PC to try copy what ever I can but I get a Permission Error. Seems that I don't have permission to view/copy the files :(

Probably because you need to take ownership of that folder first.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:35 AM

It was probably rebuilding the tombstones.  It appars to be stuck, but it's not.

You could try formatting (or deleting with diskpart) the 20 GB OS partition, then see if you get Server Reinstallation as an option again.  The other option would be to recover the data manually by following the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure for details.

Hi

Thanks for the kind reply. I am currently copying over the data after having taken ownership but it will take a very long time...

Can I just delete the 20GB OS partition and hopefully WHS will find an option to do a re-install? If so, how do I do this? How do I format the 20GB OS partition?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:40 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the kind reply. I am currently copying over the data after having taken ownership but it will take a very long time...

Can I just delete the 20GB OS partition and hopefully WHS will find an option to do a re-install? If so, how do I do this? How do I format the 20GB OS partition?
    Connect it to a client and either format the partition (or use diskpart to delete the partition).  Diskpart has a better chance of working, but it's potentially dangerous if you don't know how to use it (as you could inadvertently delete the other partition, where your data is stored).
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:50 AM
  • Thanks again for the reply. Do you mean connect the HDD manually to a client computer and format the 20GB partition and try to reinstall WHS?

I can see the partition on the HDD when I boot but I think it's corrupted as it's in weird characters.

edit: I have plugged what I think is the primary HDD containing the OS into one of the clients. I have previously backed up one of the DATA drives as per link shown but that took me 6+hours and its just around 5% or less of the data I want to save...

Hopefully formatting the OS partition would work...
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Thanks again for the reply. Do you mean connect the HDD manually to a client computer and format the 20GB partition and try to reinstall WHS?

Yes.  The point is to get rid of all traces of your previous install (which resides on the 20 GB partition), then put that drive back in the server and try again.

I can see the partition on the HDD when I boot but I think it's corrupted as it's in weird characters.

edit: I have plugged what I think is the primary HDD containing the OS into one of the clients. I have previously backed up one of the DATA drives as per link shown but that took me 6+hours and its just around 5% or less of the data I want to save...

Hopefully formatting the OS partition would work...

Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Unfortunately after going through 4 HDDs I can't see the 20GB partition :( I only see the default DE\shares and DE\folders folders. Weirdly thought the WHS can see the partition during install (it's a 20GB RAW volume) but I can't see it in my client's computer which is running VISTA. Oh well...too late now anyway formatting started.

I have managed to copy over all my files and now will attempt to reinstall WHS and start afresh. This time around though I am going to make sure WHS is fully updated before attempting to add any third party programs.

Will also do so carefully to make sure there's no problems.

edit: What do I do to the clients after I have reinstalled WHS? Do they automatically detect the server? I am guessing all I need to do then is to add users manually in WHS?

Thanks.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:34 AM
  • To have the clients rejoin the server run c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Discovery.exe

--
    Monday, February 22, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Hmm, I can't find Win2003 drivers for my mobo...is it ok to just use WinXP 32bit?

Also seem to be having some problems. At first I get the error that Windows Update package or something failed to run and it logged me automatically into WHS. I presume that's because I don't have the ethernet driver installed. Once I got that sorted I seem to be able to connect to the net, However, I noticed Windows only see 1 HDD although bios sees all four. I think this might have to do with the chipset driver?

I can't seem to find the driver CD for my Mobo now so I will have to redownload from ASUS and its taking ages because it's a 350MB file and I am getting 7,2KB/s transfer rate...

So while downloading I did a reboot and then WHS looged into the installation screen and its on the final step "Finalizing Installation".

Problem here is that its taken ages and the bar is stuck at 10%... HDD light is on though and I can see the ethernet light blinking slowly from time to time. Is it normal to take this long? So far its been around 30min ...

Any help welcomed. Thanks.
    • Edited by jonathancmy Monday, February 22, 2010 4:19 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Yes they should work okay.
    --
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Just installed using WINXP drivers. At the moment everything's finalised its my first logon and it's prompting me to install some updates (IE 8 for Windows Server 2003). However, everything is taking ages. It's really slow and I can only see 1 out of the 4 HDDs. I suspect this is because I haven't got the chipset installed.

Will wait until the updates complete installing then I will install the chipset drivers...hopefully that would fix everything...
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Hmm, nothing in the chipset driver about the SATA drivers... anyone know why the BIOS can see 4 HDDs but WHS just sees  1?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Right, probably a stupid question but here I go...

If you are installing WHS on a fresh computer, most of the time the mobo would require you to install some third party drivers first (ethernet, USB, VGA etc). But the installation system seems to push through the online update even without asking if you want to install additional drivers etc.

So what should I do actually to "properly" install WHS?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:03 PM
  • In general, you install mass storage drivers during the first phase of setup, at the hardware detection screen. (If you need drivers for your system drive, they will need to be on floppy disk, because you'll inject a second time them at the Press F6 prompt just after the first reboot.) Then you allow setup to complete, which may take a very long time if you're recovering a large (multiple terabyte) storage pool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:48 PM
  • hmm I just reinstalled (again) and still the same. I can "see" all four HDDs online in BIOS and during boot up. I can even see all of them online when reinstalling as the GUI shows all four HDDs. However, after all the installation I can only see one HDD with 2 partitions. 1 for system and one for storage...

Any idea why? :(

p/s: My mobo does have a "OnChip Sata Channel" feature but if I remembered correctly I didn't have any problems during the first install where I can see all four HDDs... Only thing different during this install is I lost the CD hence I am running the drivers from a USB key drive. That worked fine for the LAN but I am not sure which one I should install to get the SATA working...all of them seems to be ATI drivers for the Chipset.

My mobo is : M4A78 PRO
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:54 PM
  • ahhh i just noticed this :

C:SYS Total Size : 20.0 GB Free Space : 14.4GB
    D:DATA Total Size : 1.34TB Free Space : 5.43TB
    Monday, February 22, 2010 7:41 PM
  • So where are you looking for your drives, then? It sounds to me like there's nothing wrong...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:43 PM
  • You should be looking for your drives using the Windows Home Server Console under Server Storage.  It should look like this but you will have 4 drives rather than 3 in my screen shot:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/8y7wq0.png

By the sounds of it your installation has gone okay.
    --
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:22 PM