WHS Server Pricing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a WHS Server, but I'm 'lost' in the different vendors/configs/prices.

I want a moderate server (no extremes).

Is there a site that compares the different vendors/configurations/prices?

I saw that the Tranquil Servers around 350, which is very low compared to the HP...

But where is the catch?

I looked up some specs etc, but it is hard to compare...

Anyone have a nice comparison grid or something?

Thanks,

Robin

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:06 PM

Answers

• Robin,

We Got Served has some reviews and info, which might help.

Comparing the Tranquil to the HP, isn't too easy as they are catering to different sectors. The Tranquil is very basic - no personalised software and only possible to have a max of two internal drives. It's reasoning, is that it's a minimal server configuration, but uses absolutely minimum power. You also have to buy the restore software extra.

The HP can have up to four internal drives and has a couple of software additions, it also has the backup of it's own user group etc.

Hope that gives some ideas,

Colin

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:26 PM
  • Robin

If you go for the HP products, these are the best prices I found after looking for the past week.

HP EX470   B&H Photo (a avery reputable photography site) $549 plus shipping
    HP EX475   MacMall $699 plus shipping (they have a full rebate for the cost of UPS ground shipping)

For the relatively small difference, I went with the EX475.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 8:17 PM
  • I picked up the 500GB HP version for $539 and futureshop + $1.99 for shipping. This was the day of release, not sure if still available at this price. So far a little under powered for me but honestly that is just nitpicking, unit is nice + I like the xmas lights.

Cheers

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 9:44 PM
  • I've also been looking at either buying or building a WHS server.

HP UK only list the EX 475.

Priced at £499 direct from HP and Play.com or £449 from Amazon UK it is a little bit steep (not that it matters as all three are out of stock).

I've been looking around at both a self build WHS rig or alternative pre-built rigs (with or without WHS).

I'm looking at the HP ProLiant ML110 G4 (quickfind code: 128282) from Ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128282) as an alternative (adding the cost of OEM WHS on top).

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:44 PM

All replies

• Robin,

We Got Served has some reviews and info, which might help.

Comparing the Tranquil to the HP, isn't too easy as they are catering to different sectors. The Tranquil is very basic - no personalised software and only possible to have a max of two internal drives. It's reasoning, is that it's a minimal server configuration, but uses absolutely minimum power. You also have to buy the restore software extra.

The HP can have up to four internal drives and has a couple of software additions, it also has the backup of it's own user group etc.

Hope that gives some ideas,

Colin

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:26 PM
  • Robin

If you go for the HP products, these are the best prices I found after looking for the past week.

HP EX470   B&H Photo (a avery reputable photography site) $549 plus shipping
    HP EX475   MacMall $699 plus shipping (they have a full rebate for the cost of UPS ground shipping)

For the relatively small difference, I went with the EX475.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 8:17 PM
  • I picked up the 500GB HP version for $539 and futureshop + $1.99 for shipping. This was the day of release, not sure if still available at this price. So far a little under powered for me but honestly that is just nitpicking, unit is nice + I like the xmas lights.

Cheers

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 9:44 PM
  • I've also been looking at either buying or building a WHS server.

HP UK only list the EX 475.

Priced at £499 direct from HP and Play.com or £449 from Amazon UK it is a little bit steep (not that it matters as all three are out of stock).

I've been looking around at both a self build WHS rig or alternative pre-built rigs (with or without WHS).

I'm looking at the HP ProLiant ML110 G4 (quickfind code: 128282) from Ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128282) as an alternative (adding the cost of OEM WHS on top).

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:44 PM