Re-Installed but it wont accept my live ID RRS feed

• Question

• Good Evening everyone. I had to reinstall Live One Care on my laptop today and now when I start the computer up it starts onecare up but says its a 15 day trial version and when I try enter my liveid to register it it comes back with a window that says "looks like you need to pay for a registration", and tries to take me to a website to pay for a new registration. I think I might have too many computers on my live ID. But its only because I have had to reinstall it a couple of times on this computer. How do I remove all the computers from the Live ID and start fresh with only this computer? Help, please.

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:06 AM

Answers

• If there were too many activations you should get a "too many activations" error message. Go to member accounts - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/members/default.htm and sign in using the Live ID you are trying to activate with. If you can't access your account most likely you are not using the Live ID associated with your subscription.

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:25 AM

All replies

• If there were too many activations you should get a "too many activations" error message. Go to member accounts - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/members/default.htm and sign in using the Live ID you are trying to activate with. If you can't access your account most likely you are not using the Live ID associated with your subscription.

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:25 AM
  •  

Thank you Jim, I got it now. It was paid for under my wifes account. Thanks again.
    Monday, November 26, 2007 4:33 AM
  • Hi.  I had to reinstall onecare because it said it was expired.  When I check the billing information my account is good till September 2008.  Why won't it accept my ID as enabled.  Help???

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:11 PM
  •  frannie wrote:

Hi.  I had to reinstall onecare because it said it was expired.  When I check the billing information my account is good till September 2008.  Why won't it accept my ID as enabled.  Help???

I assume that you meant that you went to http://billing.microsoft.com to confirm your subscription status, yes? And you activated OneCare with the same LiveID after you reinstalled? I don't understand what you mean by "it won't accept my ID as enabled."

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Hi Steve.  Sorry this isn't coming out right.  Yes I confirmed that my Microsoft Onecare subscription is enabled till September 2008.  On the reinstallation of onecare it looks for an ID to associate and activate the program, when I try to have it associate my ID.  It ackowledges my Live ID then says that It has expired.

I was able to solve this problem.  Thank you anyway.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:12 PM
  • I purchased Windows Live Care about 5 months ago. In that time, I purchesed a new computer and a lap to. Since this program can be used on 3 computers, I tryed to load it. I keep getting an error 8059. On this error it tells me that I have 2 more installs left and that I need to go to the add a computer screen to do this. So I go that way and end up with the same errror message 8059.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:51 AM
  •  

I started another post already outlining my problems trying to activate another computer.  I've installed and uninstalled the program a few times and now I found out that I was using my own Live ID instead of the original one.  Now I can't figure out how to change it.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:21 AM
  •  rattboy wrote:

I purchased Windows Live Care about 5 months ago. In that time, I purchesed a new computer and a lap to. Since this program can be used on 3 computers, I tryed to load it. I keep getting an error 8059. On this error it tells me that I have 2 more installs left and that I need to go to the add a computer screen to do this. So I go that way and end up with the same errror message 8059.

When you install to the second PC or reinstall, you use the same LiveID that you originally subscribed with.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate the reinstall.

-steve
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:56 AM
  •  nosnobunny wrote:

I started another post already outlining my problems trying to activate another computer.  I've installed and uninstalled the program a few times and now I found out that I was using my own Live ID instead of the original one.  Now I can't figure out how to change it.

If you have not activated the trial yet, there is no changing, just activate with the original LiveID. You can't move the subscription from the original LiveID to a new ID.

-steve

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:57 AM
  • It wasn't the trial version.  I was using the disks from the purchased version.  I have to say with all the resources available to MicroSoft, they really dropped the ball on this.  I am no techie but am far from a novice.  This was waaay too hard and wasted an unbelievable amount of my time.  If I had realized who difficult it was, I'd have stuck with my first choice in protection which was Zone Alarm.  The software salesperson talked me out of it.  Big mistake! 

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:16 PM
  • Just to bring closure to this discussion, the reason for the problem was that the activation after reinstall was indeed being attempted with a different LiveID. It is very important to know the LiveID for your subscription and use the same one when activating after a reinstall or on the 2d and 3rd PCs.

-steve

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:48 PM
  • Sorry to jump on this thread, but I'm having virtually the same problem, and it's not related to a wrong Id.  I did a new WinXP install on a new system, and subsequently clicked on Subscribe in the main OneCare window, and then entered my existing account information.  It spits back that "email address or password is incorrect" error.  The problem that I noticed is that this happens instantaneously.  On a whim, I spun up windump, to monitor my NIC, and did that whole process again.  Not a single packet is generated as a result of clicking that Sign In button.  Not anything to try to resolve an address, no traffic to any external server, absolutely nothing.  In short, it's like the dialog itself is generating the error, without ever bothering to make a single external connection.

I'm sort of clueless to even imagine what it might be doing.  Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

(Obviously, the system is "on the wire", and all other Internet-related activities work just fine.  It's just this one application that seems to be acting extremely odd.)

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Is your password complex for your LiveID? That is, longer than 8 characters and including characters other than letters and numbers? If so, try changing the password to a simple one and try again. Assuming it activates, change it back after activation is successful. I assume you can log in with the LiveID at http://billing.microsoft.com and can see your active subscription?

If it continues to fail, please contact support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:42 AM
  • Stephen.

OK, I would be remiss by not starting out by saying "thank you".  That was EXACTLY the problem, and diddling the password got me going.

Having said that (and surely you already "feel this coming"), someone needs to strangle the OneCare developers.  How in the world can they have codified the application to only work with simple-minded passwords, when the OneCare web site clearly allows for complex (secure) passwords?  And to then compound the problem by not having sense enough to generate an error appropriate to the situation, simply makes things even worse! (certainly, nobody can think that telling you that your user name or password are incorrect, when the REAL problem is that it simply doesn't like the characters it sees in the password!).

PLEASE tell me that this is open as an existing BUG (not RFE), and that someone intends to fix this SOON.  This has to be a constant source of frustration for more than just a few people.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:43 PM
  • I do hope it is an open bug in the Billing/Activation process as it has been reported a number of times already!

Glad that you were able to get activated.

-steve

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:38 AM