none
WHS reinstall for system disk and motherboard swap RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I've searched through many other WHS reinstall posts but haven't found an answer to my question.  I have WHS running on an IDE disk with several SATA disks as my data pool.  I'm currently using an older nforce4 motherboard which has tends to crash every few days (worked fine when I had my server running ubuntu, but has known driver problems with Server 2003) so am planning to swap the motherboard and system disk for newer hardware.

My questions is regarding data stored on the system drive.  WHS partitioned that drive (250G) into a 20G system partition, and the rest appears in the storage pool.  There appears to be data on that partition, but obviously I can't tell what that data is.  There is NO option to "remove" this partition from the data pool, which means that if I swap out the drive that data will go missing.  Is there any way to salvage that data?  I supposed I can clone the drive and then do the reinstall, but now I wonder what would happen if that drive were to die.  Is this perhaps why several have reported failures in recovering the storage pool after a reinstall?

THANKS!
    • Edited by AlexDz Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:24 PM better title
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:23 PM

Answers

• First, your question is answered here in the forums. I know it is; I've answered it repeatedly. :)

If you have a fully functional set of drives, a server recovery will preserve everything except items on the system partition: installed add-ins (though the installers will still be available), users, programs installed on the server desktop and OS tweaks applied the same way, etc. Your shares and backup database should be fine.

It's not usually obvious what the cause of a failed recovery (drives don't reintegrate) is. I believe sometimes it's the result of a storage pool which contains drives and controllers added at various times, while other times it's probably the result of failing to properly identify the drivers needed for recovery.

See this FAQ for a brief description of a recovery.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:13 PM
  • This FAQ covers your question as regards loss of data. Bottom line: recovery onto a functional system drive will lose none of the data in the storage pool. It will lose everything on the system partition. Data loss due to failure/replacement of a drive is fully covered in that FAQ.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:06 PM

All replies

• First, your question is answered here in the forums. I know it is; I've answered it repeatedly. :)

If you have a fully functional set of drives, a server recovery will preserve everything except items on the system partition: installed add-ins (though the installers will still be available), users, programs installed on the server desktop and OS tweaks applied the same way, etc. Your shares and backup database should be fine.

It's not usually obvious what the cause of a failed recovery (drives don't reintegrate) is. I believe sometimes it's the result of a storage pool which contains drives and controllers added at various times, while other times it's probably the result of failing to properly identify the drivers needed for recovery.

See this FAQ for a brief description of a recovery.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:13 PM
  • I appreciate your response, and yes I did see the reinstall question answered repeatedly and I also read the FAQ, but none of that addressed my main concern--unless I've really missed something. 

The hard drive that contains the system partition also contains a partition assigned to the storage pool. WHS formatted the first drive with 20 gigs for the system, and the remainder was added to the storage pool by default. According to WHS there is data stored on that partition. So if I replace the hard drive (or it fails) I don't see how that data is recoverable. If it were possible to do a "remove" on that portion of the drive then the data would be moved to the remaining storage pool, but that option is not offered. 

My question is still valid I think, how does one save that particular bit of data without doing a complete system backup? Thanks.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:46 PM
  • This FAQ covers your question as regards loss of data. Bottom line: recovery onto a functional system drive will lose none of the data in the storage pool. It will lose everything on the system partition. Data loss due to failure/replacement of a drive is fully covered in that FAQ.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Hi AlexDz,

That is why there is a duplication option on the folders.   Turn it on - let it balance then do your upgrade.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:07 PM