When in remote access unable to download a folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an issue started the other day not sure why.  Originally I was unable to access my home server website, but i was able to fix that.  Had to add Network Services to the temp folders- security as full control.

But now i have a slight issue still, When in remote access unable I am unable download a folder,  If i try to download a single file it works fine, but when i try a folder it fails,  it gives me the dialog box asking if I want a self-extracting .exe or as a zip file but neither option works.

it goes to a page that displays this

Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error.

To fix this error, please try the following:
      Click here to refresh this page.

Click here to return to the Remote Access home page and try your task again.
    If you're still experiencing difficulties please talk with your home server administrator for assistance.

if I check event viewer on the server it gives me an informational on ASP.net

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Web Event
    Event ID: 1314
    Date:  1/28/2011
    Time:  4:59:00 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    Event code: 4011
    Event message: An unhandled access exception has occurred.
    Event time: 1/28/2011 4:59:00 PM
    Event time (UTC): 1/28/2011 10:59:00 PM
    Event ID: 5a8562f6f2fe4af181acdc0f0d2e9cdf
    Event sequence: 8
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Remote-2-129407291169531250
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /Remote
        Application Path: c:\inetpub\remote\
        Machine name: SERVER

Process information:
        Process ID: 6008
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Request information:
        Request URL: https://xxxxxxxxxx.homeserver.com:443/remote/files.aspx?share=67e24f3d-af74-458f-b0e3-82a9e2cb2943&path=HDtracks
        Request path: /remote/files.aspx
        User host address: xxxxxxxxxx 
        User: Tom
        Is authenticated: True
        Authentication Type: Forms
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks in advance.

Tom

Friday, January 28, 2011 11:01 PM

Answers

• A server reinstall fixed the issue
    • Marked as answer by thjoca3 Friday, March 4, 2011 5:35 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:34 PM

All replies

• Some things to check;

1.In default WHS install there should be no need to change any folder permissions on the server to get remote access working properly. Please make sure you have (in the WHS console) enabled remote access for the user that is used to logon to the remote website and also this user has access rights to the share you want to download from.

2. You need to use IE7 or IE8 to access the remote website. If you already do could try reseting browser security settings to default.

3. Could also be an issue with the last windows update (KB 981089). You could try uninstalling that one.

4. Sometimes it helps to reconfigure remote access, however given the fact you already had problems getting it working it could also be you will completely loose access to remote access website.

Last but not lesast, official advice to fix this kind of issue would be server reinstall.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:56 AM
  •  

Thanks, for the reply

1.In default WHS install there should be no need to change any folder permissions on the server to get remote access working properly. Please make sure you have (in the WHS console) enabled remote access for the user that is used to logon to the remote website and also this user has access rights to the share you want to download from.

Yes, tried multiple users, this used to work

2. You need to use IE7 or IE8 to access the remote website. If you already do could try reseting browser security settings to default.

I've tried it on IE7 and 8, firefox, chrome, all same result

3. Could also be an issue with the last windows update (KB 981089). You could try uninstalling that one.

I'll have to try this one when I get some from work

Update - no change when uninstalling this patch

4. Sometimes it helps to reconfigure remote access, however given the fact you already had problems getting it working it could also be you will completely loose access to remote access website.

I tried disabling and re enabling, no change, but did not reconfigure

Update- no change when reconfigured

Last but not lesast, official advice to fix this kind of issue would be server reinstall.

I hope it doesnt come to this....

Guess, I May have to reinstall  :(

• Edited by thjoca3 Monday, January 31, 2011 8:50 PM updated
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:52 AM
  • A server reinstall fixed the issue
    • Marked as answer by thjoca3 Friday, March 4, 2011 5:35 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:34 PM