Windows XP Home displays error code: 0x80040509 after installing SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• When I install XP Home on my Dell laptop [originally XP Professional], all is well until I install SP3. After the insallation, and the computer reboots to Windows-I get the Error Code: 0x80040509 displayed on a blue screen that covers my desktop. the display reads"The product key is not valid for this media type. Please use the correct installation CD to reinstall windows. I am denied all access to the desktop. I have installed Windows using two different CD's [both validated], & the results are the same. I have installed Xp home on several laptops [HP & IBM- both had Professional installed originally],and have never had this problem before. I am including a copy produced by the diagnostic tool.           Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23493
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {085D83F0-F9C0-4A6A-A446-11A9B1B565BC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe[5.1.2600.2180], Hr = 0x800b0100

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{085D83F0-F9C0-4A6A-A446-11A9B1B565BC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23493</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-796845957-1788223648-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Latitude D620                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A10</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080516000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>60F83A07018400EE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 4000:Dell Inc|4000:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I am submitting this from my backup SP2. [Windows is not usable once the error code is displayed & SP3 is installed.             

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hello geewizard,

One of the major changes implemented in XP SP3 was the ability to do an installation without entering a product key during setup, putting the installation into a sort of Trial mode that would last for thirty days. 

The installation disc you are using is a very hacked and cracked mashup of XP Home and XP Pro Volume Licensing edition.  It is not advisable to use these types of discs to install Windows.

This mashup disc evidently has a script or other programming embedded that automatically enters the nongenuine product key into the activation wizard and attempts to activate with that key, and the response you are seeing is Windows coming back telling you that a Volume Licensing Key is not valid for use with an XP Home installation disc.

Does your Dell Latitude D620 still have its Dell certificate of Authenticity for XP Pro?  If so, then your best option IMO is to contact Dell to order a replacement Recovery Disc and when that arrives, use that to do a clean installation of the original Genuine Windows operating system back onto the computer.

Start the order process here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=bsd&redirect=1

If you have a friend or relative with a Dell computer that came from Dell with XP Pro, their Dell XP Pro Operating System Reinstallation Disc (which will have green screenprinting) will work on your computer.

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I spent a considerable amount of time researching the counterfeit situation at the WGA site & others. I am amazed at the perfection that the counterfeiters have achieved. I am now convinced that I was duped by the exacting copy of the INTERNET purchased disc & packaging. I apologize to Dan for taking so much of his time.   I am going to reload the Walmart purchased disc to try to determine why that disc yielded the same error code. Thanks to all for your advice ,       GW

garyschaaf
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:51 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hello geewizard,

One of the major changes implemented in XP SP3 was the ability to do an installation without entering a product key during setup, putting the installation into a sort of Trial mode that would last for thirty days. 

The installation disc you are using is a very hacked and cracked mashup of XP Home and XP Pro Volume Licensing edition.  It is not advisable to use these types of discs to install Windows.

This mashup disc evidently has a script or other programming embedded that automatically enters the nongenuine product key into the activation wizard and attempts to activate with that key, and the response you are seeing is Windows coming back telling you that a Volume Licensing Key is not valid for use with an XP Home installation disc.

Does your Dell Latitude D620 still have its Dell certificate of Authenticity for XP Pro?  If so, then your best option IMO is to contact Dell to order a replacement Recovery Disc and when that arrives, use that to do a clean installation of the original Genuine Windows operating system back onto the computer.

Start the order process here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=bsd&redirect=1

If you have a friend or relative with a Dell computer that came from Dell with XP Pro, their Dell XP Pro Operating System Reinstallation Disc (which will have green screenprinting) will work on your computer.

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I purchased the installation CD [a builder version] through the INTERNET. It came sealed with the original booklet & the certificate. I have validated the installation using the tool provided by windows. I entered the keys provided on the certificate during the initial installation. I do not see how this item could be non genuine. Also- I get the same error message when I used a CD that I purchased years ago through Walmart. That CD is a full version. I do not believe that your hacked & cracked theory is correct.       gw
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:00 AM
  • The product key shown above is not the key I entered when I installed windows- it is not even close to the key listed on my certificate. I have the Dell disc to reinstall Pro - I prefer XP home.      gw

garyschaaf
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Hello geewizard,

The WalMart "full" version would most likely be a full retail license as WalMart does not sell OEM licenses.  You would of course get a similar message along the lines of the product key is not valid for this media because the product key from the CoA on the computer is an OEM product key and that will not be accepted by a full retail installation disc.

It's not a theory, it's fact.  The report extract below highlights contradictory data that would not appear in a report made from a Genuine Windows XP installation, as there is no such thing as a Volume License for XP Home.

Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23493
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {085D83F0-F9C0-4A6A-A446-11A9B1B565BC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

You wrote, "I purchased the installation CD [a builder version] through the INTERNET. It came sealed with the original booklet & the certificate."

If the systembuilder disc you purchased put down the installation that generated the report above, then there is a 99.9% chance that this is a counterfeit product.  If it is a high quality counterfeit, Microsoft will replace it for free.  Go to www.Microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Windows button.  When Windows fails validation, in the subsequent web pages look on the right side of the page for the link to apply for the Complimentary Replacement Program.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Hello geewizard,

The product key in the report is a widely distributed invalid volume licensing product key.  Just enter 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY into a search engine and see all the hits you get,

Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:55 AM
  • The OS does not fail validation & I can not find the link you describe above.  It not probable that Microsoft will be willing to send software to replace both of my present CD's [Walmart retail & present builder version]  because they are yeilding the 0x80040509 code. However, I will try the link if you can provide it.     note:  I ran the diagnostic tool [1.9.0027.0] on a desktop that I built two years ago[XP Home- builder version]- the results show a string of numbers in the product ID that does not match the certificate. It appears that the tool is yeilding incorrect information in some cases.    gw
    garyschaaf
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:56 PM
  • The product key shown above is not the key I entered when I installed windows- it is not even close to the key listed on my certificate. I have the Dell disc to reinstall Pro - I prefer XP home.      gw

garyschaaf

If you have a genuine Dell OEM Windows XP product key, it can only be used with the proper Dell OEM Windows XP reinstallation CD.  Please see: How To Request Backup CDs for Your Dell Computer.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I spent a considerable amount of time researching the counterfeit situation at the WGA site & others. I am amazed at the perfection that the counterfeiters have achieved. I am now convinced that I was duped by the exacting copy of the INTERNET purchased disc & packaging. I apologize to Dan for taking so much of his time.   I am going to reload the Walmart purchased disc to try to determine why that disc yielded the same error code. Thanks to all for your advice ,       GW

garyschaaf
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:51 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Hello geewizard,

No apology necessary :-)

I would expect that if you do a clean installation of Windows (choosing at the beginning of Setup to either repartition and reformat, or just reformat) using the WalMart disc and the accompanying product key (the retail packaged product will have it printed on the yellow-orange Proof Of License sticker that is affixed to the hevay paperboard folder that came inside the nice pretty retail box), you will get a successful installation and activation.

Then go to www.microsoft.com/genine and click on the Validate Windows button, which should result in a normal validation.

If you run the mgadiag report after activation and validation it should show a Genuine installation of a retail licensed product.

Monday, November 15, 2010 2:59 PM