re-use windows xp home sp2 OEM lisence RRS feed

• Question

• I have a pc that I custom built myself and I installed a copy of windows xp home edition sp2 OEM. However I will be installing a new motherboard and processor within the next few fays. Please can you tell me if I can still use the license that I have on this motherboard? once I install the new motherboard I won't be using the current one again.

Can anyone help? thanks.

Friday, December 22, 2006 10:36 PM

Answers

• After installing Windows XP:

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone". 

The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

You can open the Windows Product Activation wizard by clicking Start, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Friday, December 22, 2006 10:38 PM
  • is this ok to do because when I come to activate my current lisence on my new motherboard microsoft will know that it has been already registered on this computer.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 10:42 PM
  • If you end up having to phone Microsoft to activate, you'll be issued a new activation key (at no charge).
    Friday, December 22, 2006 10:49 PM
  • i've read that once a oem license has been installed on one motherboard it can't be used on another motherboard. Is this correct?
    Friday, December 22, 2006 10:56 PM
  • If you have a generic OEM Windows license, you can replace the motherboard.  If you have a non-generic OEM license, such as from Dell, you cannot replace the motherboard unless it is a Dell motherboard.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 11:13 PM
  • so if I install the same license on my new motherboard won't microsoft think that I will be using it on 2 different computers if the license has been registered on them both? They are both intel motherboards that I am using for my custom built pc.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 11:19 PM
  • Supercoop,

OEM licenses for XP are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed, and that license cannot be moved to another computer (unlike the retail license, which can be moved from one computer to another).

For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is just a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base component that defines a computer.  Therefore, an OEM license cannot be moved from one motherboard to another.

There is on exception to the above policy, and that is to accommodate a situation where the original motherboard was replaced because it was defective.

So, under the circumstances you describe, you would not be allowed to move the original OEM license for XP from your old motherboard to a new motherboard, since the reason for the move is not that the original has become defective.

Saturday, December 23, 2006 3:51 AM
  • My old motherboard was defective. My old motherboard broke (overheated) so i got a new one and i am not using the old one. can i use the same Product Key on this new computer and deactivate it on the old one?

I only have 3 Days to activate it

Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:03 AM
  •  

Call MS customer support and explain your situation. Maybe they will activate depending on your situation.

Thank you

STephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:35 PM
  • I SOLD MY LAPTOP BUT I DIDNOT SELL MY OFFICE  SOFTWARE.I AM USING IT ON MY NEW SYSTEM

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:38 PM
  • I have windows xp professional oem license

I had to change my motherboard and cpu because my cpu fried because of bad psu

now i had installed my os again and can't activate over internet

will the guys at toll free ms line help me with this problem, if i call them

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:48 AM
  • Onur_runO,

Yes, you will be activated by using the "Activate by Telephone" method as shown in the Activation Wizard.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:49 PM
  • MHonor,

In order to read your XP installation's End User Licensing Agreement, please click Start, Run, type winver, then click OK. In the resulting dialog box, click on the "End User Licensing Agreement" link to read your EULA.

I am not aware of any provision of the North American XP EULA that would classify the installation of a replacement, or additional, hard disk drive as grounds to invalidate a license.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:51 PM

All replies

• After installing Windows XP:

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone". 

The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

You can open the Windows Product Activation wizard by clicking Start, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Friday, December 22, 2006 10:38 PM
  • is this ok to do because when I come to activate my current lisence on my new motherboard microsoft will know that it has been already registered on this computer.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 10:42 PM
  • If you end up having to phone Microsoft to activate, you'll be issued a new activation key (at no charge).
    Friday, December 22, 2006 10:49 PM
  • i've read that once a oem license has been installed on one motherboard it can't be used on another motherboard. Is this correct?
    Friday, December 22, 2006 10:56 PM
  • If you have a generic OEM Windows license, you can replace the motherboard.  If you have a non-generic OEM license, such as from Dell, you cannot replace the motherboard unless it is a Dell motherboard.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 11:13 PM
  • so if I install the same license on my new motherboard won't microsoft think that I will be using it on 2 different computers if the license has been registered on them both? They are both intel motherboards that I am using for my custom built pc.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 11:19 PM
  • Supercoop,

OEM licenses for XP are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed, and that license cannot be moved to another computer (unlike the retail license, which can be moved from one computer to another).

For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is just a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base component that defines a computer.  Therefore, an OEM license cannot be moved from one motherboard to another.

There is on exception to the above policy, and that is to accommodate a situation where the original motherboard was replaced because it was defective.

So, under the circumstances you describe, you would not be allowed to move the original OEM license for XP from your old motherboard to a new motherboard, since the reason for the move is not that the original has become defective.

Saturday, December 23, 2006 3:51 AM
  • My old motherboard was defective. My old motherboard broke (overheated) so i got a new one and i am not using the old one. can i use the same Product Key on this new computer and deactivate it on the old one?

I only have 3 Days to activate it

Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:03 AM
  •  

Call MS customer support and explain your situation. Maybe they will activate depending on your situation.

Thank you

STephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:35 PM
  • I SOLD MY LAPTOP BUT I DIDNOT SELL MY OFFICE  SOFTWARE.I AM USING IT ON MY NEW SYSTEM

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:38 PM
  • I have windows xp professional oem license

I had to change my motherboard and cpu because my cpu fried because of bad psu

now i had installed my os again and can't activate over internet

will the guys at toll free ms line help me with this problem, if i call them

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:48 AM
  • Onur_runO,

Yes, you will be activated by using the "Activate by Telephone" method as shown in the Activation Wizard.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:49 PM
  •  supercoop wrote:

I have a pc that I custom built myself and I installed a copy of windows xp home edition sp2 OEM. However I will be installing a new motherboard and processor within the next few fays. Please can you tell me if I can still use the license that I have on this motherboard? once I install the new motherboard I won't be using the current one again.

Can anyone help? thanks.

Sunday, October 14, 2007 8:39 AM
  • James,

Do you have the same question as Supercoop? If you do please read above as that was already answered. Should you have additional questions please post back.  Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Ummm, I hate to tell you this, but if you have changed anything at all on that computer, Microsoft will NOT reactivate you no matter what kind of OEM you have. You have to buy a new copy of windows. I have just 2 months ago, spent hours on the phone with Microsoft on this very issue. And all I did was upgrade a hard drive. Any upgrade you can make that don't require a reinstall, or repair, of windows are the only ones you can make.

And yes, I made an iso of my hard drive before transferring to new drive, it didn't matter, because the SN# of the new drive is still sent to microsoft. Unless your some kind of wizard who can transfer SN# of hard drives from one to another, you'll have to buy a new copy.

And please, don't argue this with me, because I have the emails and phone records and voice messages from Microsoft to prove it. Why would I keep these you ask, because you will go through a juggernaut of Microsoft tech's who will conterdict one another until your so pissed off that someone from much higher up calls YOU up and says, sorry, you need to buy a new copy, please don't call us anymore with this issue.

The issue, a $150.00 copy of Windows XP Pro full version.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:44 PM
  • MHonor,

In order to read your XP installation's End User Licensing Agreement, please click Start, Run, type winver, then click OK. In the resulting dialog box, click on the "End User Licensing Agreement" link to read your EULA.

I am not aware of any provision of the North American XP EULA that would classify the installation of a replacement, or additional, hard disk drive as grounds to invalidate a license.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:51 PM