Changing Windows 7 Editions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!  I bought a Windows 7 license for my netbook and, for the sake of convenience, used the media from my desktop PC to get an ISO from which I could install it.  It worked, and I proceeded to load the netbook with all of my files, software, etc.

Then, I went to activate it - at which point I discovered that the key I had bought (using my Student discount) is a Windows 7 Professional key, whereas I installed Windows 7 Home Premium, which is the edition that already runs on my desktop PC. 

Now, I have a problem.  I can't change versions using the installer, because the installation program recognizes that the copy of Windows 7 on my netbook has not been activated.  However, I also can't activate it, because the verifier recognizes that the key I'm trying to use is for the wrong edition.

I don't care which of the two versions I end up running, but I do want the software to be legal, and I do NOT want to have to reinstall and reload everything on this netbook (which is quite an undertaking).  So, please tell me how I can either:

1. Change the edition of an unactivated copy of Windows 7, so I can use my existing key; OR

2. Swap the Professional key that I bought for a Home Premium key.

Note that I don't need a third copy of Windows 7, so I'm not willing to buy a new Home Premium key at full price alongside the Professional key that I already purchased.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:04 AM

Answers

• A couple of questions....

1) have you received a non-genuine notification yet, or are you still within the 'grace period'?

2) Have you tried doing a 'repair install/upgrade' with your Pro disc? - it may work on an installation still inside the grace period (I've not tried it - but  may do so later)

3) You say that you bought a Pro license - all legitimate retail and OEM Windows licenses are accompanied by the software, so the obvious concern here is that you didn't get genuine software. Where did you get the license from? What type of license is it?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:08 PM