How should I configure WHS to rotate server backup disks? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two USB3, 2TB external drives to use for server backups. To date, when I want to rotate to the next drive, I cancel server backup, remove drive A, attach drive B, use the server backup wizard to set up using drive B. PITA.

The first wizard screen says "Before you begin, you must attach at least one backup hard disk to the server. You may configure more than one backup hard disk to be used by Server Backup, but connect only one backup hard disk to the server at a time".

Does that mean: I can connect A and B and run the wizard; Then remove B and backups will go to A; Then remove A, connect B and backups will go to B - no more running the wizard?  (If this is in a FAQ, I didn't find it.) Anybody doing this successfully?

Don

Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:58 PM

Answers

• In theory, it's as you say: connect A and B and run the wizard; Then remove B and backups will go to A; Then remove A, connect B and backups will go to B. You don't need to re-run the wizard each time you rotate the drives.

I say "in theory" because I did have an instance where WHS 2011 got itself confused and insisted on having both USB drives connected, even though it only used one of them. I eventually sidestepped the problem by switching from using USB drives to removable SATA drives in an internal bay.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:57 PM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:19 PM