none
Remote Computer Over Vpn? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to get files off of a computer over the internet. I have a WHS box setup at work and it is configured to allow incoming connections over a VPN connection. I would really like to log onto the VPN connection at home and then be able to access all of my shared files on the remote computer at home over the LAN while I am at work. Is that at all possible? I was thinking that having all of the computers in the same workgroup and all of them having file sharing on that I would be able to see the remote computer in the office in my network places while it is connected to the VPN server. Would there be a better way to do this?

Also, I can't connect to my VPN connection when outside my LAN. I can connect to the server but the connection hangs on "verifying username and password" I know that I am using a username and password that is supposed to be able to logon, but it still hangs at that step. I've set the type of network to PTPP and it still will not work. I've forwarded port 1723 on my router to the server, both TDP and UDP and made exceptions for both in windows firewall on the server and client. I don't know why the connection can be made, but not accept the username and password.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

• On 6/18/2010 1:30 PM, pontiacg5 wrote:

I need to be able to get files off of a computer over the internet. I have a WHS box setup at work and it is configured to allow incoming connections over a VPN connection. I would really like to log onto the VPN connection at home and then be able to access all of my shared files on the remote computer at home over the LAN while I am at work. Is that at all possible? I was thinking that having all of the computers in the same workgroup and all of them having file sharing on that I would be able to see the remote computer in the office in my network places while it is connected to the VPN server. Would there be a better way to do this?

Also, I can't connect to my VPN connection when outside my LAN. I can connect to the server but the connection hangs on "verifying username and password" I know that I am using a username and password that is supposed to be able to logon, but it still hangs at that step. I've set the type of network to PTPP and it still will not work. I've forwarded port 1723 on my router to the server, both TDP and UDP and made exceptions for both in windows firewall on the server and client. I don't know why the connection can be made, but not accept the username and password.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but here's how I do the VPN.  I signed up for an account with Hamachi LogMeIn, and installed the client on all of the computers in my network.  I have them all set as hubs in a hub/spoke network.

The client creates a tunnel that allows me to take my laptop out of my network, and it connects to the server (and backs up to it) with console access, and also connects to the other computers in the network.

However, if the computer you're trying to connect with is not in your network (and doesn't have the Hamachi Client installed) I'm not sure if this will work for you.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    • Marked as answer by pontiacg5 Monday, June 21, 2010 1:01 PM
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:13 AM

All replies

• On 6/18/2010 1:30 PM, pontiacg5 wrote:

I need to be able to get files off of a computer over the internet. I have a WHS box setup at work and it is configured to allow incoming connections over a VPN connection. I would really like to log onto the VPN connection at home and then be able to access all of my shared files on the remote computer at home over the LAN while I am at work. Is that at all possible? I was thinking that having all of the computers in the same workgroup and all of them having file sharing on that I would be able to see the remote computer in the office in my network places while it is connected to the VPN server. Would there be a better way to do this?

I'm not sure if this will help you, but here's how I do the VPN.  I signed up for an account with Hamachi LogMeIn, and installed the client on all of the computers in my network.  I have them all set as hubs in a hub/spoke network.

The client creates a tunnel that allows me to take my laptop out of my network, and it connects to the server (and backs up to it) with console access, and also connects to the other computers in the network.

However, if the computer you're trying to connect with is not in your network (and doesn't have the Hamachi Client installed) I'm not sure if this will work for you.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    • Marked as answer by pontiacg5 Monday, June 21, 2010 1:01 PM
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:13 AM
  • I'll give Hamachi a shot and let you know how it works.

Thanks!

Monday, June 21, 2010 1:01 PM