WCF duplex callbacks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm trying to use WCF duplex callback for interaction between client (deployed on client machine) and service, deployed on the cluster (in our case, on the HEAD in a shared folder - HPC Service Central Deployment Model). HEAD is also a WCF broker. 
    However, it seems that duplex context that passed to NODE attempts to callback HEAD instead of client. How can I overcome this?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Alexeis2007,

Duplex WCF service is not supported on Windows HPC Server. The MEP supported is RequestReply as OneWay is just a special RR pattern.

If you use duplex callback to send back results, you can wrap your code with a RR pattern service by returning the result. Or can you explain your needs to a duplex pattern?
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Yes, I need it primarily for reporting back progress of calculus.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:36 PM
  • I'm afraid you can't use callback on HPC SOA system.

You can monitor the overall progress (how many requests are processed vs. how many received) by monitoring different counters on the broker/service job. You can do this either by opening the job console or using Store API.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Thanks for reply. We need to display progress in our application, so I think we will either use Store API or some kind of polling technique.

Saturday, April 4, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Sorry I cannot find anything named 'Store API' in HPC. Can you point me to some resources regarding this?
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Sorry this is a naming issue. I should call it Microsoft HPC Scheduler API. Here is a short sample on how to get job properties.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.hpc.scheduler.properties.jobpropertyids(VS.85).aspx

Basically, what you need to do is find the broker job of your SOA session and read out the 2 properties - NumberOfCalls and NumberOfOutstandingCalls.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.hpc.scheduler.properties.jobpropertyids.numberofoutstandingcalls(VS.85).aspx

I suppose your code have count of total sent and received calls. So NumberOfCalls give you an idea on how many requests the session have actually received and NumberOfOutstandingCalls tells you how many calls are waiting in the queue.

Hope this is helpful.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:17 AM