2 CRM 4.0 servers - 1 SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm not going to use the Enterprise edition. But would it be possible to use two different servers, one for production and one for testing, on one SQL server?

If using Enterprise edition the SQL server will contain one MSCRM_Config database. If I'm connecting two CRM 4.0 servers to a single SQL server, will there still be one MSCRM_Config database?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 11:39 AM

Answers

• You cannot connect two separate CRM servers from different CRM deployments to the same instance of SQL server, as both deployments require their own MSCRM_Config database.

Without using the Enterprise edition you'd have toi nstall 2 instances of SQL on the SQL server, and have each CRM deployment use a different SQL instance

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:23 PM

All replies

• You cannot connect two separate CRM servers from different CRM deployments to the same instance of SQL server, as both deployments require their own MSCRM_Config database.

Without using the Enterprise edition you'd have toi nstall 2 instances of SQL on the SQL server, and have each CRM deployment use a different SQL instance

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Thanks.

David, is it possible with one default instance and one named instance or would both have to be named?

When you connect to a named instance during installation, is it in this format then: computername/instance?

Thanks again!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Yes, it's OK with a default instance and a named instance. I think the named instance format is computername\instancename

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 7:12 PM