MS CRM General doubts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am using VisualStudio 2008 for plugin and .aspx pages development but I dont have MSCRM in my system to test those plugins. I deploy it in my system and use it some where else for testing. Is this the correct way?. Please suggest the best.

Regards,
    Rajsekhar.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:32 AM

Answers

• Rajsekhar,

That's fine if you don't have MSCRM in your system, you can still develop your plugins and aspx pages.  Debugging will be much more difficult (if at all possible depending on your access to the system that contains MSCRM) so you may have to deploy your code and test it in the application.  Obviously if you are deploying to a live environment you will need to be careful with this approach, or debug during off hours. 

Plugins use the standard dll's in the SDK and you use DynamicEntities instead of strongly typed references to all CRM objects.  ASPX pages however give you the ability to download the WSDL from the CRM GUI, send that file any where you want, which then lets you point Visual Studio to it and you now have strongly typed CRM objects to code against.

The SDK goes over how to set everything up, so I recommend downloading it and reading through it if you haven't yet.  Just search for "Microsoft CRM 4.0 SDK" and you'll find it real fast.

Fronk
    http://dmcrm.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, March 20, 2009 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:32 AM